Goerend J vs suncoast 10531

USMC_53

Jan 2, 2016
Eastern North Carolina
So i just bought another truck with a built transmission and a goerend R converter. It has a s472 and i cant get on the charger when i go to launch in 2nd gear! So i need something with a stall closer to 3k, cant decide if i should send the goerend R to get re-stalled or stick a suncoast 10531 in it? The truck has dual pumps, 100% injectors and weighs 5200lbs.

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
J for sure. 1053 is junk compared to it. I ran a 1053 for 3 years. J the last years. The J couples so much better and hold up great. Do get the extreme clutch upgrade. I do have a good used one I'd make a good deal on if interested.

Reactions: USMC_53

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
J for sure. 1053 is junk compared to it. I ran a 1053 for 3 years. J the last years. The J couples so much better and hold up great. Do get the extreme clutch upgrade. I do have a good used one I'd make a good deal on if interested.
Last time I talked to Dave Anderson at Goerend, I think he told me all J converters now come with the extreme clutch upgrade automatically (priced accordingly of course).

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Last time I talked to Dave Anderson at Goerend, I think he told me all J converters now come with the extreme clutch upgrade automatically (priced accordingly of course).

Yup, all new J and AR (Q stators successor) converters come standard with extreme clutch. This change started with the J and Q in early 2019 and has been going since.

Djreversal

Jul 14, 2011
^^

As for physical fitment, all converters are physically interchangeable 01-16. Some stator and pump designs are better than others for specific OEM or aftermarket turbos.

ahh ok great well message me if you have it for sale.. i'd probably take it off your hands for a fair price.

Thanks

Mark

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
ahh ok great well message me if you have it for sale.. i'd probably take it off your hands for a fair price.

Thanks

Mark

Mark, I don’t have a used R for sale. I do carry new Goerend units.

The OP has an R and is debating between a 1053-1 and a J. If you’re looking to pick up his used converter you may be better served shooting him a private message.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

prostreeter600

Street rodder
Jul 18, 2010
Dallas Tx
I’ve had better luck with the Georend . Currently have a J convertor. Previously it was an LL . I was blowing thru the LL , so I had Dave tighten it up to a J . My current setup is blowing thru the J now . When I say blowing thru it I mean I’m hitting 3800 and still climbing. I’m sending it back to Dave to tighten up some more and to add the Extreme Clutch setup because my J does not have it . Keep in mind this is with 2nd gear starts . I have a Suncoast 10531-3D also , currently fried. This is the 2nd time I’ve burned up the clutches on it . I am fixing to send it in for repair if it makes any sense to repair it cost wise .

Reactions: USMC_53 and 1TRIKHD

The A Team

Jul 26, 2015
The J is a great converter! Run one on my truck street and track and love it! Spools quickly and ramps into boost on the street fast with minimal throttle input.

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
I’ve had better luck with the Georend . Currently have a J convertor. Previously it was an LL . I was blowing thru the LL , so I had Dave tighten it up to a J . My current setup is blowing thru the J now . When I say blowing thru it I mean I’m hitting 3800 and still climbing. I’m sending it back to Dave to tighten up some more and to add the Extreme Clutch setup because my J does not have it . Keep in mind this is with 2nd gear starts . I have a Suncoast 10531-3D also , currently fried. This is the 2nd time I’ve burned up the clutches on it . I am fixing to send it in for repair if it makes any sense to repair it cost wise .

When you send it in Elvis go to a 70 series convertor. 1072 or a 1071 would be what you would want.

prostreeter600

Street rodder
Jul 18, 2010
Dallas Tx
When you send it in Elvis go to a 70 series convertor. 1072 or a 1071 would be what you would want.

Shane , can you tell me why you think one of those 70 Series would hold up ? I purchased the 10531-3D cause it came highly recommended by numerous people. As stated , this one I have I’ve already fried the clutches in it twice , granted it was hitting 3400 without a problem ,it wouldn’t blow thru it but the clutches just don’t hold up . I think I’m gonna have Dave tighten up the Goerend to 2600 or less and I’m gonna have him put in his extreme clutch setup in it too . After that then I may send the Suncoast in to see what’s available

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
That series is doesn’t have the issues the 50 series have with blow through. I think they use the term negative pressure Convertors. They are much more efficient.

Bbuchanan11

Sep 9, 2011
Sarver, PA
Not to hijack the thread but I’ve been looking at converters lately looking to change mine out before spring I have a precision 2000 stall now. I’m constantly pushing through the brakes when trying to stage. After researching it sounds like the J might be a good one for me what do you guys think? Current set up is in sig and I do street drive it.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Not to hijack the thread but I’ve been looking at converters lately looking to change mine out before spring I have a precision 2000 stall now. I’m constantly pushing through the brakes when trying to stage. After researching it sounds like the J might be a good one for me what do you guys think? Current set up is in sig and I do street drive it.

For your 66/88 setup I personally think the J is a little too loose. Have you tried an R or K? An R is 2000-2200 stall and works pretty darn good with S366s, it does achieve a little higher stall than advertised depending on setup.

A J is 2700-3000 which is overkill for a 366 in the valley in my opinion.