GM CEO Wagoner to step down at White House request

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
probably helped more than it hurt... kept repeat customers due to the customer being taken care of when the shitty injectors took a crap. That speaks volumes IMO. Go ask the Ford guys how they got treated with junky designed heads/head gaskets/turbos/etc. on their 6.0s or Dodge whenever the CR injectors crapped out on them or that sorry VP44 bowed out. Bet their story isn't the same. ;)

BadinBlack

Duner
Mar 29, 2009
Oregon City, Oregon
wasteful spending, unions (people making more than they should for the job they are doing in places with low cost of living), pensions, covering spouses after death, too many chiefs not enough indians......Theres plenty more but blah. They need a CEO that has morals and can go in with their boots on and kick ass. Thats what will make them profitable.....thats what i would want as a shareholder. Wagner had 5+ years and they wen't down each and every year.

Wagoner work for a dollar? I have no sympathy. Thats just a front to make the public think he's doing something. Trust me, he was taken care of.

Wasteful spending.....lol, I used to work as a contractor for them. One of the VP's took us to one of the most expensive restaurants in the state. 14 of us. Bill was just under $1300 before tip. Sushi was flying everywhere. I just sat at the end and ate my steak (I don't eat bait) I got the feeling that was pretty normal for them. They are like cheap bacon. (GM) MUCH more fat than meat. Wagoner needs to be the first of many of the "good ol boy club"

Their thinking is always yesterday. They are allways a day late to the game with their old school mentality. Especially in the vehicle designes and interiors, weight problems and performance. They are still trying to sell the fricken trailblazer. Just saw it at the auto show and couldn't believe it. Go look at the interior of one. Same as when it came out in 02. Makes you feel like you are riding in a vehicle of the 90's since they borrowed a lot of the interior from the S-10. I could go on and on but i'll spare you.

The ones running the show, like wagoner are the ones that have been there for 20+ years and still live under the mentality that americans will buy GM because its the american thing to do, not because they have the best product which is they way it should be.

The only division who is worth a shit is cadillac and thats because they broke apart from the pack in 2003 and started making some really great vehicles that weren't your daddy's caddy. The rest of the divisions, still made boring cars that all borrow from each other as they have done for decades. Which is why you will say buh bye to pontiac next. Maybe decent trucks (thanks to Isuzu and Allison mostly) but not decent cars.

Bankruptcy was the right way to go. Not the governemnt taking control, regardless of political party. They sink or swim. No bailout, with any company. You bail someone out, you prolong the inevidible. If nothing changes, nothing changes.

Sorry for the rant. (especially being new) I was an outside(contract employee) insider for GM for about 6 years. I told some of my colleages in 02 that they would go down in 5 years. Guess they made it a year farther then i thought. :rolleyes::mad:

it just pisses ya off because you want better for your own country....but yet you see a select group of people drive it into the ground

Last edited:

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
ONLY! And you wonder why GM is going bankrupt. They need to axe the pensions and go to a 401k.

To think of it I think my grandfather only gets around 2,000 a month.
All new hires will not have a pension plan or health plan, self paid 401k and they will match some of it.As of right now we pay into a 401k and they no longer match like they did back 15 years ago.

You really thing even 2,000 to 2,700 is enough to live off of even with a good 401k after working for 30+ years there.I know back when the older guys started working it was alot harder work then today, But working inside a car plant is not a easy job like some of you think.

I can see were you would say that the 20 million is alot, Hell if I retire at 54 and lets say I get around 2,500 a month and live another 20 after that would be around 600k no were close to what the over paid CEO's makes.

Last edited:

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Executive pay is a very small segment of expenses. When you look at what society deems is fair pay for upper echelon workers, CEO pay in the US isn't a serious problem. We pay ball-players, movie stars, and lawyers more at the top. Heck, that schmuck who does the judging at American Idol makes $45 million for a part-time job, that involves telling folk who sing poorly that they indeed sing poorly. Wow, that's some intense job skill set...

If the government damages US businesses via their politically motivated chest beating; "US Businesses Are EVIL!! They should be PUNISHED!!!", exactly what qualifications will they look for in new CEO's?

"Hmmm... Ursula Jones should be a good CEO for Advanced Biogenetics. She contributed $120,000 last year to the democratic caucus. She also helped finance a movie that shows how American Foreign Policy was excessively cruel to the Nazis during WWII."

Sorry, I have a real hard time trusting anyone who would spend $40 million applying for a job that pays $140,000 a year. The crooks and mismanagers aren't working in Detroit. They are working in Washington DC.

mmangels22

Monty Python Rules.
Feb 12, 2009
San Jose, CA
Executive pay is a very small segment of expenses. When you look at what society deems is fair pay for upper echelon workers, CEO pay in the US isn't a serious problem. We pay ball-players, movie stars, and lawyers more at the top. Heck, that schmuck who does the judging at American Idol makes $45 million for a part-time job, that involves telling folk who sing poorly that they indeed sing poorly. Wow, that's some intense job skill set...

If the government damages US businesses via their politically motivated chest beating; "US Businesses Are EVIL!! They should be PUNISHED!!!", exactly what qualifications will they look for in new CEO's?

"Hmmm... Ursula Jones should be a good CEO for Advanced Biogenetics. She contributed $120,000 last year to the democratic caucus. She also helped finance a movie that shows how American Foreign Policy was excessively cruel to the Nazis during WWII."

Sorry, I have a real hard time trusting anyone who would spend $40 million applying for a job that pays $140,000 a year. The crooks and mismanagers aren't working in Detroit. They are working in Washington DC.

I do agree with a lot of what you posted but executive pay is incriminating in a lot of situations.

stacks04

Nov 16, 2007
Terryville,Ct
who decides what ceo's make. not the ceo, the board of directors. who makes up the board of directors, invesment bankers. who led to the 2nd great depression in the usa, investment bankers.

greed killed the usa. not just money greed, power greed also.

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
I wish we could buy are trucks without a warranty.Not sure what it would knock off the price but some people do not try and get what they break fixed for free.

Last edited:

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
That's great.........

Looks like a warranty will come with a 150 page book you need fill out before they will look at your truck.

Or show up at the federal office for the department of tune-ups and take a number only to find out after waiting an hour that they don't do oil changes there, you have to go to such-n-such other department to get that done.

On the bright side, maybe if you can't afford to maintain your vehicle yourself, maybe they'll just put that on someone elses tab who can afford theirs and yours without asking either of you if that's what you want. :angel:

Last edited:

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
who killed the electric car! GM did!

The first electric car that was useable by average person was the EV-1. I did some work on the project back then. Hmmm, uh, 12 years ago? It was a better car than anything Toyota/Honda sells today, both technologically and functionally.

Nobody wanted to buy it (actually lease it).

I imagine if Toyota made an electric car today, Congress would subsidize it.

05smoker

I'm officially done!
Mar 30, 2007
Lebanon, OH
I wish we could buy are trucks without a warranty.Not sure what it would knock off the price but some people do not try and get what they break fixed for free.

Never thought of it that way. My truck has never been back (knock on wood 92k and counting).

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
Never thought of it that way. My truck has never been back (knock on wood 92k and counting).

Most of the stuff with mine has been from me myself and I, So it was fixed out of my wallet,They have replaced the driver side speakers once,idler,wheel bearing, and a tire hoist.Othe rthen that BigDipper built the trans and We did the motor build and everything else.I have just made it to 36,700 miles.

racinmike77

Sep 14, 2008
MD
only thing i needed fixed was the injector wiring harness, heck I was nice enough when the shitty speakers blew out I installed aftermarket.

Jeff P

hail the V8 diesel
May 28, 2008
Queensland Australia
I wish chevy had sold there trucks in Australia from the beging they would have sold sh#t loads of them Ford Australia bought in those F250 clunkers from south africa (right hand drive )and they are everywhere still bring big dollars second hand and from what i can see the silverado is miles ahead i have owned lots of toyota landcruisers and this HD2500 leaves them for dead in everyway so you guys their product is good they just should have exported it through the holden (GM company )dealers here in Australia then also we wouldnt have to pay the ridiculous price to have them converted to right hand drive just an idea

mmangels22

Monty Python Rules.
Feb 12, 2009
San Jose, CA
who decides what ceo's make. not the ceo, the board of directors. who makes up the board of directors, invesment bankers. who led to the 2nd great depression in the usa, investment bankers.

greed killed the usa. not just money greed, power greed also.

A BIG X2 on that!:mad:

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
I guess I will no longer buy GM products if the gov't stays involved this deeply. Good news is Chevy as a brand will prolly never go away, cant say the same about GMC, pontiac, or buick.