Getting in the Desiel side....

Capt.D

Sep 1, 2011
Atmore, Alabama
Hi...From Alabama and have always had GM's....getting into diesels for a change and may trade my Tahoe for a 2003 HD until I see where the 2013's go. I will get 1 if I like them more if not I'll get a 2012 model. Any details I need to know on the 03 such as tranny issues or anything else of that nature?

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
I don't believe there's any tranny issues you need to worry about, unless you're going to add power obviously.

The main problem you'll have is being it's an 03 it has the LB7 engine which has injector problems. Other than having to replace my injectors I love my LB7.

If you can find one that's just had it's injectors replaced then you'd be ok or one that needs injectors for the right price you could do it yourself, given you're comfortable wrenching on your engine.

If you do go that route I'd suggest adjusting you valves while you have the valve covers off, I did and it was pretty easy.

good luck,
Yellowchevy

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
I have an 04 lb7 and i love it,except for the injectors because they are under the valve cover the lb7 IMO are the easiest to work on, Welcome to the site :hug:

R_F_F

Mar 15, 2011
Pierceton, IN
I think you're making a good choice. Traded my 1/2 ton sierra ext cab with 5.3 in on my 3/4 ton sierra with 6.6 diesel crew cab and small lift. Get better mileage have more power and handle my trailer 10x better!

I have an 03 and love it. Like anything else its all how you take care of it. Beware.. You will become addicted!

Welcome to the site!:thumb:

Dudgy

Runaway
Jun 1, 2010
Alberta
Don't be scared about the injectors. It's not like every engine needs them replaced. You will love the duramax, no matter what year you go with

Subman

Old Geezer
Jun 27, 2008
Madras, OR, Pahrump NV
Do a vin ck on here for the 03, if the injectors were replaced by a dealer it will say. Most all of the LB7's have had injector issues, contrary to what Rony said. His truck is very unique for sure.

'03duramax

I love cheer******s
Sep 16, 2006
WA
I'm on my second LB7, it had injectors done at 140k, first one ('03) ran great, sold it at 80k miles, ran a PPE tune on it, only limped once because I was being stupid. There really isnt a "bad" year of the Dmax. My truck has 192k on it and runs like a champ. It has not had an easy life either.

tgebes

Livin' the Dream
Aug 23, 2011
Omaha Nebraska
I just stepped up to an 02 duramax from a 99 three quarter ton gas 6.0 chevy. I am very happy with the choice. I had a bunch of engine work done to the gasser and my duramax will walk and talk all over it and get almost twice the fuel mileage. You won't regret it

Capt.D

Sep 1, 2011
Atmore, Alabama
Glad to hear of few problems..I am used to keeping diesels running...I'm a captain of an offshore supply vessel and for many years worked as engineer as well so it shouldn't be too much difference, just quite a bit smaller..... I may go ahead and do it when I get home Wednesday. I'll more than likely hitting you guys up for info after that...Thanks for the input...

Hammer 4

Have Hammer..Will Travel
May 27, 2008
San Pedro, So Cali
I have a 03 ..109K on the clock. Never had a injector issue, only thing that's been replaced is the batteries and glow plugs, still have the original brakes even..:D

Tranny issues will only occur if you add way more power, and or drive like a fool. There are mods you can do to up the MPG's and performance for little $$$ and time. As with any truck, ect..maint. goes along way..I wouldn't trade my truck for nuthin..:thumb:

Capt.D

Sep 1, 2011
Atmore, Alabama
I will stop and see the truck on the way home tomorrow....guess I'll see what happens from there...Not a bad looking truck though from the pics....

Attachments

• 3230-2.jpg
    3230-2.jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 3230-1.jpg
    3230-1.jpg
    220.9 KB · Views: 7

Sledhead

Mountain Pass Machine
Nov 29, 2008
BC
As Subman said, check the VIN number for prior work. See if there are any signs of power adders or ported exhaust manifold indicating possible abuse. After a test drive, squeeze the upper rad hose. If its super hard, run away from a head gasket job.

I love my 03, only had injectors once in 130,000 miles.

:welcome7:

Capt.D

Sep 1, 2011
Atmore, Alabama
I checked the vin but it didn't seem to have anything recent.....Thanks for the info on the Rad. hose...I'll drive it and check that tomorrow.....