Gelled fuel

dunnc1991

May 27, 2015
Winchester, VA
So I don't post here much, as I can usually find my answer from searching. However, I'm stuck on this one. As most places, it's been cold here the last week or so. Was in single digits for several days with wind chills below zero. Truck Sat outside, unplugged :oops:. Went to start it a few days ago, it fired right up, ran for a few seconds then died. Let it sit for few days until I got time to mess with it. Put some fresh fuel in with a healthy amount of howes. Put a torpedo heater under it, and draped the truck with tarps. I drained a small amount of fuel from the separator on the air dog. Changed the fuel filter on the pump. The fuel was good in the filter. I put a new filter in and filled it with diesel and howes I've eliminated the stock fuel filter, so I pulled the fuel line running into the CP3, and no fuel was coming out with the air dog running. I let the heater run for 3-4 hours, aiming towards the tank/cooler as well as towards the fuel lines and engine. I'm still not getting fuel to the CP3. I'm beginning to wonder if it's not a gelling issue, and if something else may have happened. Thankfully the truck isn't a daily driver, but is like to get it running as soon as possible. Any help is greatly appreciated.

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
We have done the exact thing you described to every truck that has gelled on us that last 2 weeks and it worked every time. How long have you let the airdog run after removing the filter?

dunnc1991

May 27, 2015
Winchester, VA
The stock filter has been gone for a a few years now. The only filters I have are on the AD. I let the AD run a few times for anywhere between 30 seconds and a minute. I've tried cranking it several times, hoping between the AD pushing and the CP3 pulling it would fire up, but no dice.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Im guessing you ran the heater plenty long to get things good and warm? Sounds like you might have another problem. I was able to degell my truck with just the wife's hair dryer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

dunnc1991

May 27, 2015
Winchester, VA
It was fairly toasty underneath, still wasn't super warm out but I figured it was enough to get stuff moving. It ran for at least 3 hours. I guess the pump could be running, but not flowing. I know it's got fuel in the pump, since I filled the new filter. The only other thing between the AD and the CP3 is the fuel cooler correct?

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I would of though 3 hrs would of been plenty long with new filters. Did you do a new pickup or sump in the tank when you put on the AD? The only thing I would think of it that stock pickup being plugged.

Is your AD a flow through pump? I’m just wondering if you could get it to start without it working.

Can you get the truck in a heated shop?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SteveLBZ06

Jan 6, 2013
Central MA
I'm not sure it's the proper way but I've used an air compressor with blow gun and pressurized the tank thru the fuel fill to get trucks primed. Only takes a little bit of pressure. That may tell you if the air dog is actually pumping at least

dunnc1991

May 27, 2015
Winchester, VA
It's got a stock pick up tube still. I need to unhook the feed line from the AD to see if it's actually pumping fuel. I have a garage, but trying to get the truck inside up hill will be tricky. I considered flowing out the fuel lines with air, but didn't want to damage anything in the process. The AD is 165 4g, so I believe it's a flow through pump. That's another reason I think the blockage is after the AD.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
It was fairly toasty underneath, still wasn't super warm out but I figured it was enough to get stuff moving. It ran for at least 3 hours. I guess the pump could be running, but not flowing. I know it's got fuel in the pump, since I filled the new filter. The only other thing between the AD and the CP3 is the fuel cooler correct?

The cooler is on the return line so it shouldn't be an issue

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
My thoughts are this. Pull the line directly from the air dog that’s going to your cp3 and let it run. If there’s fuel coming out then you’re gelled up somewhere between. If there’s no fuel, (this is where my own ingenuity comes into play so may sound stupid) disconnect the line From the air dog that goes to the tank, and try to hook a compressor into the tank. I’d assume that the air blowing in would push at least some fuel out of the hose so you know if you’re gelled up or not. If you have fuel coming out the you know the air dog has taken a crap.

dunnc1991

May 27, 2015
Winchester, VA
Well it's running. I messed with it for a while after work. I confirmed no fuel was coming out of the AD. I pulled the supply line to the pump and put some compressed air through it. I could hear bubbling in the tank so I knew that was clear. Still no fuel out of the pump. I pulled the water separator, and with it off, fuel would flow through the pump. I filled both the filter and separator, put everything back on and it fired up. I figure either the pick up tube had gelled or water froze in the separator and wouldn't let fuel through. Either way, I'm just glad it's back on the road. Thanks for all of the help and suggestions.:beer