Gauge DIC from 2012 Dmax with 08 ECM compatibility?

triggerdcrusader

Dec 16, 2022
Hey Guys, to preface I'm swapping an avalanche body-on-frame not transplanting. so far everything has lined up, and I was able to sort out my engine CANBUS problems with great help from @kidturbo, and @duratothemax. I have an 06 LBZ running on an LMM computer using GMLAN to communicate with a 2012 Avalanche Body, so far, so good. I have one "final" problem, being, I need a gauge cluster because obviously I cant run off the avalanche one. I could use my 06 donor, but that's the gmt800 body and its not going to go in nicely with gmt900 interior. I just need to know if the DIC from an 08-12 cluster will work with the Setup I've got? like how does this work, I have an LBZ running of an LMM ECM, if I use LMM gauges it will work? what about LML? Will the sensor information from all my LBZ sensors for oil life and stuff be gibberish or does the LMM ECM think that its running an LMM engine? (obviously I'm reflashing for a custom tune) and what about plugs? I cant find a good picture on whether I can rewire the Avalanche cluster connector for same generation diesel or if I need more pins. Any professional advice would be greatly appreciated!

main reason I'm not using the 06 cluster is because I need to keep the inside clean. Customer wants all the amenities of his Avalanche/Escalade, and the dash to be seamless and original.

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
Personally, I would try the 12 Avalanche cluster before anything else. Reason being, the BCM does the talking to the IC, so it's passing the correct data on the low speed bus. As we spoke, the LMM data and LML HS GMLAN data is pretty much identical. RPM, temp, speedo is all the same data between gas and diesel platforms. Only thing is question is oil pressure. That moved changed around a bit. On the LBZ, it's not in HS GMLAN data, was K-Line if I recall. Just know it's not in the data stream from ECM, so an 06 BCM and 12 IC or other way around, isn't gonna match up right. So that leaves us gas or diesel IC from 8-14 as your best options.

I would like to see how it plays as is first, with the LMM ECM feeding the factory BCM and IC. If issues, then probably a BCM firmware upgrade for starters. That's more of Ben's realm, as nothing I convert actually use a BCM. But I know they the Duraburb guys have it figured out. Might be as simple as using an 10-12 BCM from a Dmax truck.

Reactions: triggerdcrusader

triggerdcrusader

Dec 16, 2022
Ok, thanks man. I'll just roll with it for now see what happens. The truck is getting an auxiliary gauge cluster on the driver pillar with boost and all that stuff I might just run an analog oil pressure or something and call it a day if it comes to it.

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
I think you'll be surprised how well it plays together. GM is all about mass production, so cross platform interchangeable parts is integral to design. If you add a CTS, you'll have a backup of all the gauges anyways while ya work out the IC details.

For aftermarket gauge cluster options, I've had good luck with these VantageView CANbus gauges from Livorsi. A retro C10 build I helped out on uses these. Fits well with the 70's style dash. But mostly found in marine.

20220228_172710.jpg

The little gateway I build converts HS GMLAN data to output as J1939 or N2k. Option I typically do those for is these MFD's. Which while a touchscreen IC doesn't always fit modern pickup trucks the best, sure looks cool in the Duramax Ripsaw, with an airplane yoke for steering wheel.

howe-howe-ripsaw-ev3-f4-il-carro-armato-di-lusso.jpg

Reactions: triggerdcrusader