Fuel rail lines bursting

FletchMD

Feb 21, 2021
Did head gaskets studs new injectors new return lines with bolts and washers
Truck started fine a few times. I drove it down road about mile ran good pulled back in my driveway that was covered with snow. So I gave some throttle and sent it sideways. Then it shut off. After going through fuel priming still no start checked oil had fuel in it.
Started taking it apart figuring it was a return line dumping fuel in oil. And I found high pressure line had blown on cylinder 3 so I cleaned old one and replaced it. Truck started for few seconds shut off. And it blew a hole in line on cylinder 7
I'm at a lose any help in what direction to go would be greatly appreciated. I'll try to attach a pic of one of the lined

Attachments

• IMG_20210220_174729495.jpg
    IMG_20210220_174729495.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 82

diesel-max

Haisley Never heard of her
Oct 20, 2011
IN
So let me get this right, your high pressure lines are cheap ones from Amazon?

FletchMD

Feb 21, 2021
Yeah Im going to put factory ones back on because after spending 4 grand on parts I really don't have 4-500 to get new ones. And it might be another problem.
If anyone has any suggestions on any other reasons this could happen. It's not exactly a quick thing to do. Taking it down to change those line is a job. Which I'm good with doing just would like to know if I should check anything else that could maybe do the same thing or fail at another area I'd rather the line fail than something else. Any kind of check list or anything to double check?

Trimox

Aug 31, 2017
Cheap lines are the issue more than likely

While you are more than likely right, everybody has failures. It is how they handle it after the failure that makes all the difference. A recent post on this site had a failure form a site vendor, I will not name names look if you want to find it. I will still buy from that vendor without fear.

The problem might be in the manufacturing of the tubing. I don't know how many tubing manufacturers there are but I doubt it is 100s or Ks. Then it could be in the bending process.

When I replaced my injectors I reused the old lines. Can they fail at some point YES. However buying from reputable always helps.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I'd like to see some photos of these failed high pressure lines. It would be very rare for the high pressure lines to burst or split. Unless they are cheap knock offs made of inferior metal

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
That line has a nice knot right in the middle. Cheap stuff will have a failure rate higher than OEM, but this isn't the place to take a risk

diesel-max

Haisley Never heard of her
Oct 20, 2011
IN
I'd like to see some photos of these failed high pressure lines. It would be very rare for the high pressure lines to burst or split. Unless they are cheap knock offs made of inferior metal
I’m going to have to say by the little that can be seen in the first photo that it looks to be a cheap knock off. Fleece offers a nice set especially for the money.

i can’t say that I’ve ever seen a factory line ever fail by just bursting. I highly doubt you’ll find anything else that is/could cause that besides a product built to not so high standards.

I absolutely understand a budget especially after spending a large amount on parts to start. Cleaning stock lines very well would probably be best in your current situation.
Brakeklean would be best. Shop air is not, due to condensation. Unless you have a very good air drier.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Yep, sounds like cheap aftermarket parts. Cant say Ive ever heard of an OEM line bursting like that pic showed, though. Id clean the OEM lines up as best I could and reuse them.

FletchMD

Feb 21, 2021
The lines came from Orion motor tech ordered off Amazon I should said that instead of saying cheap ones.
Has anyone heard first hand of aftermarket lines failing.

In the picture it shows the line where it burst zoom in on it.

MarkBroviak

DMax Junkie
May 25, 2008
Danville Indiana
Boschtech is a cheap chinese knock off fuel line that started popping up last year and they won't even hold up to factory line pressure. Been seeing this happen a lot lately as people buy more and more less expensive parts on line to save a buck but it always ends up costing then a lot more money in the end. In the end, you won't beat the factory part in this situation.

FletchMD

Feb 21, 2021
I'm putting factory ones on this weekend and see what happens. I'm still leaning to something else going on because it ran fine for awhile blew when I gave it throttle then put it back together and it started and blew one within seconds

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I'm putting factory ones on this weekend and see what happens. I'm still leaning to something else going on because it ran fine for awhile blew when I gave it throttle then put it back together and it started and blew one within seconds

cut one of these new ones apart or take a close up pic of the blown out area. the factory hard line wall is THICK. You have to look at this like bubble wrap. if you squeeze one just enough, it starts to distort and extend outwards stretching the plastic with it. From that point, it wont take as much pressure to now pop the distorted plastic as its thinner from elongation. i will bet your other line was already on the verge of popping from the wot run you did and the idle pressure of 5k blew it out.

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
I've seen stock lines kept out of corrosive environments crack both axial to the tube and radial across the tube, presumably to resonance and 27k + psi. Haven't seen it on a stock truck yet, but these were lb7, lly, and lbzs that were tuned up.

FletchMD

Feb 21, 2021
I'm hoping that is the case. I won't be able to mess with it till weekend. But I will post what happens.

FletchMD

Feb 21, 2021
It's running I haven't hit Wot yet but the factory lines seem to be holding up. If anything changes I'll post it. Lesson learned don't buy cheap high pressure fuel lines