LBZ: Fuel mixture???

Shieldsinc

On a Time Out
Apr 24, 2012
How do you guts mix your fuel for the winter. I'm new to the cold and fr Florida so we dnt have to mix it. Jw what's the best mix I'm in ND and they say it gets -40 here. Thanks for the help

DBUSHLB7

Team DMAX
Mar 9, 2012
Albuquerque, NM
911 is made by Power Service. It's an additive that comes in a red bottle that is used in the event your fuel gels up and your truck won't start. When I first started going to ND and Minnesota while my wife and I were dating, I too was nervous about the fuel thing. The people I'm friends with up there told me they don't even use #1 most of the time as it will mean a loss of power and fuel economy, they instead buy #2 at the pump because it's pre blended with anti-gel. Not sure about the Kerosene being thrown in with the fuel.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Up north your best bet is to buy your fuel local to where you will be staying as most stations will keep there fuel blended for the weather conditions. And #1 is basically kerosene, and is why many people refer to it for winter use.

Shieldsinc

On a Time Out
Apr 24, 2012
Yea I'm wrkin in the oil feild. I put in natural gas and oil pipelines. Running directional drills.

Shieldsinc

On a Time Out
Apr 24, 2012
I stay near new town bot to move to Minot. But we're wrkin by Trenton right now right across the Montana border. You up here too

DBUSHLB7

Team DMAX
Mar 9, 2012
Albuquerque, NM
No but I go about three times a year. One of my best friends drives truck hauling grain/operating green equipment for a 26k acre farm 45 min SW of Fargo in a tiny town called Enderlin. My wife is from Detroit Lakes MN which is 45 east of Fargo. Her brother in law drives truck for Stock and he's been hauling lumber and building materials out to Dickinson and all over. Along with the oil boom is a need for housing. They are putting up apartments and houses like crazy.

DBUSHLB7

Team DMAX
Mar 9, 2012
Albuquerque, NM
That state is wealthy man....the Minnesotans are jealous! They say ND is one of the only states with a surplus in their budget lol. The big farmers make a lot of money. The farm I visit gets new combines, 4WD tractors, sprayers, EVERY YEAR! Corn and Soybean are the cash crops for sure.

DeMax LB7

Bowtie Child
Dec 11, 2011
Rice Lake,WI
damn ive been wanting to head out the oil fields, im gonna hold off till they open up the big vein first. Is it actually pretty hectic out there like the news reports and shit has it bragged up to be or not really?

Shieldsinc

On a Time Out
Apr 24, 2012
No just like anywhere else really. I mean of course there som crazy stuff but it's ok. And I think it's bout to slow down til wee get all these pipelines done cause its costing the oil company to much money to ship the crude by rail. But pipeline wrk wont slow for a long time.

Akers

Jun 20, 2014
Bumping up an ancient thread to ask a newb question.

Winter is coming up quick and although it doesn't get terribly cold here in Southern Indiana, it gets cold enough to make me start to think about fuel. I've never noticed pumps marked as winter blend around here. Is that something that all filling stations do every year? If not how do I find a station that does? I usually fill up at our co-op which is the most popular place for diesel around here. They only have #2 available.

This will be my first winter with the duramax and I would rather not have to freeze my a$$ off changing fuel filters because of gelled fuel.

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
Bumping up an ancient thread to ask a newb question.

Winter is coming up quick and although it doesn't get terribly cold here in Southern Indiana, it gets cold enough to make me start to think about fuel. I've never noticed pumps marked as winter blend around here. Is that something that all filling stations do every year? If not how do I find a station that does? I usually fill up at our co-op which is the most popular place for diesel around here. They only have #2 available.

This will be my first winter with the duramax and I would rather not have to freeze my a$$ off changing fuel filters because of gelled fuel.

Most places that are in cold weather climate areas that don't have #1 available will put additives in #2 for winter use. That's how it is in my state, #1 doesn't exist here bit the #2 with winter additives does alright as long as temps are above 0

Akers

Jun 20, 2014
Most places that are in cold weather climate areas that don't have #1 available will put additives in #2 for winter use. That's how it is in my state, #1 doesn't exist here bit the #2 with winter additives does alright as long as temps are above 0

Thanks that's good to know. I've got a few friends who drive diesels and they don't run any additives or anything and do fine in the winter, but that could be pure luck. One of them has been hazing white smoke in an LB7 for 2 years now and hasn't had anything break yet. I didn't want to take their word for it if that's how they treat their trucks.

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
Thanks that's good to know. I've got a few friends who drive diesels and they don't run any additives or anything and do fine in the winter, but that could be pure luck. One of them has been hazing white smoke in an LB7 for 2 years now and hasn't had anything break yet. I didn't want to take their word for it if that's how they treat their trucks.

You can also add a winter additive yourself, I use diesel kleen in the white bottle in the winter and grey bottle in the summer.

Akers

Jun 20, 2014
I'll have to look into that. I'm all about cheap insurance on stuff like that. I got a hell of a deal on a solid one owner truck and I'm trying to keep it that way.