Fuel Filter

Odie

Sep 27, 2007
I just got back in town and found out that my truck hasn't been starting. I primed the fuel filter and diesel started leaking out. I went and got a new filter thinking that the gasket had gone bad or something. I put the new filter on and it is still leaking. I think the leek is on the pedestal that the filter spins on to. Has any one had any problems with this?

JOHNBOY

< Rocking the Big Single!
Aug 30, 2006
Saegertown, Pa
Where is it leaking from the hand pump or the bleed screw.

I have several filter mounts here if you need one.

Stupid Question
They is an o ring on the top of the filter?

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Sometimes it will even be TWO o-rings on the top of the filter. Sometimes the old o-ring will stick to the top, you won't see it, and now two will be there and it will leak.

Don't ask. :D

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Sometimes it will even be TWO o-rings on the top of the filter. Sometimes the old o-ring will stick to the top, you won't see it, and now two will be there and it will leak.

Many of us have done that. Once. :rolleyes:

NemesisDP

Apr 20, 2008
Bloomfield New Mexico
Always wondered if anyone had ever just run the FASS-type filter setup along the frame rail and bypassed the OEM filter altogether.

Have on several. Trucks run alot better, fuel temp is cooler going to the CP3. Ever felt you factory filter after truck has been ran hard? Fass filter still get warm from fuel temp in the tank but not as hot. A buddy did alot of testing an has the info I will see if I can get it from him.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Have on several. Trucks run alot better, fuel temp is cooler going to the CP3. Ever felt you factory filter after truck has been ran hard? Fass filter still get warm from fuel temp in the tank but not as hot. A buddy did alot of testing an has the info I will see if I can get it from him.

That would definitely make for another interesting thread....and make me do this :banghead: for buying just the pump (sans filters)

RodZZilla

I8TOKYO
Jan 6, 2007
Grinnell, IA
How does that work in a colder environment? Doesn't the factory mount have an element in there?

Curious, because it is -11*F right now.:mad:

Odie

Sep 27, 2007
The bleed screw is tight and lo leeks there. I did check for the o ring on top and made sure the old ring wasn't stuck up there. Done that my self once before. What it seems like is that I'm not getting the filter on tight enough. I know its tight though. The bottom of the filter is good to. Checked it and made suer there were no leaks down there. I have been looking into the air dog 150 lift pump. Sounds like I just need to get that and by pass the factory one.

Dirtbikindad393

Nov 2, 2008
Moorpark, CA

Did that on the oil filter once! About a gallon and a half later I noticed the pool in the driveway. That was a mess to clean up in the rain. :mad:

Odie

Sep 27, 2007
Something that i just thought about. If I was to bypass the factory filter with a lift pump. How would I defeat the sensor at the bottom of the factory filter? Or is that something that could just be left unplugged?

Last edited:

JOHNBOY

< Rocking the Big Single!
Aug 30, 2006
Saegertown, Pa
Always wondered if anyone had ever just run the FASS-type filter setup along the frame rail and bypassed the OEM filter altogether.

I mounted a filter head under the truck after my lift pump. I use a Wix version of the 5 micron Cat filter. I removed the stock filter head. It was easy to bypass. Just take the banjo fitting out of the outlet line. Remove the filterhead. Put banjo fitting in the line that ran to the filter head inlet. Bolt back on the FICM.

Odie

Sep 27, 2007
Thanks for all the help guys:D Now all I need to do is choose a lift pump:confused: I was looking at the air dog 100 or 150. Any thoughts?