Front end noise...going crazy

TomHuskey

Jun 19, 2010
I've got a new noise coming from my front end. It's not a random popping/creaking suspension type noise, but instead its a rotational bearing/shaft type noise and I can feel it very pronounced in the steering wheel (and my seat/floor). I thought it may be a wheel bearing, but it's not constant. It comes and goes, doesn't get better or worse with turning left or right, and if I keep my foot on the gas (diesel:D) pedal, and press the brakes a little it stops while I'm still going 50 or 60 or whatever.

I'm about to pull my hair out, but tomorrow I'm going to drain the transfer case fluid and check it out (hopefully not pump rub :mad:), and jack the wheels off the ground and check for play and signs of bad bearings. I'm also going to rotate the tires to see if it's a cupped tire or something.

Any suggestions on what may be causing the noise :dontknow: HELP!

TomHuskey

Jun 19, 2010
Hub

Mine did the same thing (intermittent sounds and vibrations) and replaced the hub and all better!!

I thought wheel bearings were pretty constant noises that changed when turning left and right. Did your's do that? Mine doesn't change with wheel direction? :confused:

Colt

Jul 23, 2010
Looks like you tow heavy so it works if you drag that trailer alot. Don't forget how much it takes to go up and around with all that weight behind and on back of it. Just sayin, it's made to pull but wears faster like how hard is it used and then maintained too.

TomHuskey

Jun 19, 2010
Looks like you tow heavy so it works if you drag that trailer alot. Don't forget how much it takes to go up and around with all that weight behind and on back of it. Just sayin, it's made to pull but wears faster like how hard is it used and then maintained too.

..but that's why I sold my 1500 bought a heavy duty truck, so the bearings/driveline/breaks could handle the torture. :banghead: Oh well, guess I would have replaced a lot more parts if hadn't got it, plus it's a blast to drive :driving:

TomHuskey

Jun 19, 2010
Good news so far

Step one in mystery noise elimination complete. Changed the old T/C fluid out for some fresh new Transynd (not trying to start Trannsynd vs 5W30 debate). It was full to the top, a little burnt, but still full :woott: Inspected everywhere for pump rub signs, none so far.

Next I'm going to tackle the front hubs to see if that eliminates it.

Will update with progress.

TDFDiesel

I'm That Guy
Jan 6, 2011
Mesa, AZ
Sounds like the common problem with either intermediate shaft or body mount. Search Duramax Forum for underbody "clunk".

adrenaholc1

Apr 5, 2011
Butler Co. OHIO
I call wheel bearing. Mine was intermittent and felt like a flat spot in the tire. I couldn't believe the wheel didn't fall off once I saw the hub after i removed it.

TNeill

Diesel Power
Sep 5, 2011
North Louisiana
Check drivre line for slack in ujoints also . If there is excessive slack in joints the vibration may be eliminated by some braking force. Check with pry bar and look close. Doesnt take much for vibration.