Freshly built trans no forward gears??

Yellow Jacket

WannaBe Sled Puller
Feb 11, 2009
Waterloo, IA
Just assembled a stage 5 trans and when I put it in any forward gear it has no reaction and throws a shift range inhibited...

Sounds like its not seeing a speed so throws shift range inhibited, checked with EFIlive box and laptop and no codes...

How do I check the c1 circuit to verify the piston and solenoid are functioning correctly??

jc1843

Sep 27, 2009
So Calf
You are sure the fluid level is OK?

Could try this-- remove the large harness at the rear of the trans- Then it will be in "Limp Mode" and you should have 3rd and reverse.

If you don't, check the line pressure at the pump plug.

Yellow Jacket

WannaBe Sled Puller
Feb 11, 2009
Waterloo, IA
Fluid level is a little low yet, have to get more fluid after work today. Reverse seems to work fine, not sure if that matters, but I thought if reverse worked the fluid level and line pressure would be good enough that forward should work

Yellow Jacket

WannaBe Sled Puller
Feb 11, 2009
Waterloo, IA
When I unplug the main harness from the valvebody and cause it to limp it still doesnt have 4thto gear... the c1 almost has to be the culprit, right???

boominator

Jan 31, 2012
MI
the same thing happened to me it was a junkyard trans of unknown origins, but the stater support shaft had moved and the fluid circuit wasn't completing so neither c1s or c2s would apply. moral of the story i always air checked from then on
but if it was a know good trans see how the Teflon seal rings are

Yellow Jacket

WannaBe Sled Puller
Feb 11, 2009
Waterloo, IA
I airchecked the first few I did, but took it 4 granted I guess. I just had the valvebody off and airchecked c1and c2 from the square ports in the bottom of the main case and they seem to be working fine... Now im really confused

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
I airchecked the first few I did, but took it 4 granted I guess. I just had the valvebody off and airchecked c1and c2 from the square ports in the bottom of the main case and they seem to be working fine... Now im really confused

You said there were no codes. I'm thinking a stuck E shift valve, but that should have thrown a p0872. Anyways, now it's time to earn your money.

dirty_max

Jan 27, 2013
eureka il
Yea this is terrible. Im reading through all these threads in this section trying to learn some stuff and nobody ever comes back to update. In case anybody is still listening, how do you air check the clutch packs? Is there somewhere that i can get a picture that shows me which hole goes to which clutch?

Evan@InglewoodTrans

yerp
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 5, 2010
Western MA
Yea this is terrible. Im reading through all these threads in this section trying to learn some stuff and nobody ever comes back to update. In case anybody is still listening, how do you air check the clutch packs? Is there somewhere that i can get a picture that shows me which hole goes to which clutch?

Which clutch are you trying to air check? If you have a iPhone or Facebook I can send you a video of how to. Also what are you trying to find/fix.

dirty_max

Jan 27, 2013
eureka il
Which clutch are you trying to air check? If you have a iPhone or Facebook I can send you a video of how to. Also what are you trying to find/fix.

i have facebook. I will look you guys up on there. I was just curious as to how it works, thought maybe I would try it while I have the valve down. but I have other issues I have come to find out. I have a clutch that is delaminating. had the valve full of clutch material. so I have to pull the trans anyhow.