Ford F-250 Death Wobble

KyleC4

Tech
Dec 30, 2016
Bay Area
Did they ever fix the half tons where at low speeds the braking system would completely fail? I remember reading a good while back many people had got in accidents at stop lights or backing out of their driveway because the brakes would just go out.

I think this is the brake system module reprogram that we are doing a lot of on the half tons for Chevy. I’ve only heard one customer come in and say the brakes went out on him and scared him to death. Instant buyback of course.

snowman22

Jan 30, 2018
SoCal
Fords fix is a caster change, if all other frontend parts are tight. It’s a pretty rare issue, we run a shit ton of ferds.
https://www.brakeandfrontend.com/ford-tech-tip-sustained-steering-wheel-oscillation-above-45-mph/

I don't see how a caster change while leaving all the other spec would do anything. Maybe more toe in, but every death wobble I have been in was a wasted front end dodge that needed bushings.

But a 19' Ford couldn't have suffered from a worn out front end, so it's pretty concerning.

I guess motortrend can shove it and I'll take my "potential for tire wear" and not worry about death wobble while my wife is driving my truck.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I don't see how a caster change while leaving all the other spec would do anything. Maybe more toe in, but every death wobble I have been in was a wasted front end dodge that needed bushings.

But a 19' Ford couldn't have suffered from a worn out front end, so it's pretty concerning.

I guess motortrend can shove it and I'll take my "potential for tire wear" and not worry about death wobble while my wife is driving my truck.

Caster is a big deal on jeeps. It makes a bigger difference then you might think since it is one of the larger forces wanting to keep the tires straight.

VEfreak

Oct 18, 2018
I remember when my 92 dodge 4x4 got a case of death wobble. Turns out it was due to a shattered gearbox bracket and cracked frame.

snowman22

Jan 30, 2018
SoCal
Caster is a big deal on jeeps. It makes a bigger difference then you might think since it is one of the larger forces wanting to keep the tires straight.

Uneven caster, absolutely. I guess I just don't get the bulletin for moving caster on both wheels as far back as possible.