Ford copying jet engine technology???

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Anything on this aircraft jet engine look familiar? :)

ben

Attachments

• Turboprop_cutaway.jpg
    Turboprop_cutaway.jpg
    215.1 KB · Views: 198
Last edited:

1lowdiesel

<- wish i was there
Sep 18, 2008
In
dual compressor wheels. They aren't back to back but i guess it would still have the same affect.

jlawles2

Jan 28, 2010
Danbury, TX
I wonder if it will fit under the hood of the Ford. I know it is more reliable since Ford did not build it :rofl: Probably burns less gas per HP than the Ford also.

Let's add it up. Ford takes the 4.5l GM concept of putting the exhaust in the valley feeding the turbo to help reduce cost and then feeding the intakes on the bottom side. (OH yeah I heard that Ford bought the first V8 design from GM) Now they take a compound compressor design from the turbine industry and put it in a turbo charger. What's next? Oh yeah they also now have common rail and 6 speed automatic transmission.

Anyone think that we can start a rumor that GM is going to start injecting diesel into the exhaust at the turbo to make it self sufficient??? Something similar to one of these: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8GBwvzBzuk

Brayden

Jan 16, 2008
www.fleeceperformance.com
Multiple stage compressors have been around for a while in the aircraft world guys. Ford didn't design the charger anyways. It's a Garrett AVNT just like what we have except the turbine is larger and they have a siamesed compressor that compounds the air.

Garrett patented the application in a turbocharger, which they probably drew from the parent company Honeywell, who manufactures turbine engines among other things.

Brayden

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Multiple stage compressors have been around for a while in the aircraft world guys. Ford didn't design the charger anyways. It's a Garrett AVNT just like what we have except the turbine is larger and they have a siamesed compressor that compounds the air.

Garrett patented the application in a turbocharger, which they probably drew from the parent company Honeywell, who manufactures turbine engines among other things.

Brayden

yes I know that brayden, I posted this thread sort of jokingly, note the smiley face in my first post........................

As soon as I posted it I knew someone would take me a little too seriously/literally. :rolleyes:

we are all well aware ford doesnt actually design/build turbos, they never have. And yes, as you said, airplane jet engines have had multiple stage compressors since their inception in the early 1940's (ok, technically 1939). The first ever british jet engine (made by rolls royce, I forget what it was called) had multiple compressor stages, as did the first production german jet engine (junkers 004b). I dont know who made the first american jet engine. General Electric maybe??

Last edited:

keith2500hd

MOTORKILLER
Jul 20, 2008
Burlington,iowa
yea, ge got rolls-royce engines, when they got scared germany would invade england. garrett has been doing that since 1968, tomahak cruise missle engine (atf3/f104) used in coast guard falcon jet, but came off gov't schedule of engines. not listed as tomahak powerplant anymore. cat(r&d) was using this similar turbo about 10 years ago, but had motor/generator to turn shaft.