For all the welders in here.....

E.carter

Feb 16, 2008
Princeton, Iowa
I learned the hard way.... Was working in a non heated garage last winter at a buddys and he had a kerosene torpedo heater going and was using brakecleaner. Thought I was going to be overcome by the fumes and you could not get the smell out of your sinuses. Mild exposure but real bad stuff. Thanks for the post Banks and email Pat

raengines

Jun 13, 2008
thanks for the email pat, and thanks to Banks for the most important thing i'll be reading tonight. :hello:

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Wow! Phosgene? That's some serious stuff. From what I remember it was used in chemical weapons years ago. Thanks for the heads up. I don't remember ever using brake cleaner before when I weld, but I'll be sure not to use it now.

mytmousemalibu

Cut your ride, sissy!
Apr 12, 2008
Kansas
I use non-chlorinated BUT as said, very flammable! Make sure its fully dry and part and area are purged of fumes. And like I mentioned before, it contains Tolulene. Dunno whats in simple green that could be harmful? Might have somthing in it.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
After read this I had a brain fart a few weeks ago. I grabbed a can of brake clean to get a excavator started we here have problems getting primed. Gave that sucker a few good shots and and it didn't fire, so then I read the can.:D I waited a few hrs hoping it would evaporate then got a can of ether out of my truck.

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
I'm guessing this goes for Eyther too then!?.. I use Eyther all the time... Cheaper than brake cleaner and I feel it work's better in most cases

mytmousemalibu

Cut your ride, sissy!
Apr 12, 2008
Kansas
:confused: You mean Ether....Starting Fluid?:eek:

Thats comprised normally of Diethyl Ether, Hexane and Heptane, somtimes with a mineral spirit for upper cylinder lube. And a propellant in the can, like isobutane, CO2, propane. So if your not careful, you could end up with a bomb on your hands. Also, the effects of ether on yourself, can get you all screwy and it bad for you. AND importantlly, if you have left over ether like in a bucket or somthing, get rid of it. If ether is stored in plastic, it can leech out. Very importantlly, if ether is stored in a clear container where any light can get to it, IT CAN FORM EXPLOSIVE PEROXIDES:eek::eek::eek: Bad, bad!

I know this stuff because my R/C diesel airplane engines run on special diesel thats 40% ether or more. Same rules apply. Pre-mixed r/c diesel is hard to find and expensive:mad:

Dont take my word for positive, but ether and the brake spray mentioned causing phosgene gas are very differant. The concerned cleaner is prolly the CHLORINATED type. I use NON-chlorinated to start stuff plenty. its basiclly laquor thinner in a can;)

steakman

Diesel Nut...
Aug 31, 2009
Barrie, Ontario
For those that weld all day long...emphasis on all day long, there are reasonably priced systems out there that bring fresh, filtered air into ones helmet..not only does it provide a bit of "air conditioning" and cooling, they also provide positive air pressure to keep smoke and welding fumes out of your helmet.

These are not however to be used in a "confined space" environment where Oxygen supply is critical.

But for the guy that welds with Flux cored or Metal cored wires all day long, they work very well. Up here in Canada, for anyone with an Optrel made helmet - we have one that runs under 600 CAD. good for 12 hrs - rechargeable battery. Uses activated carbon filters.

cheers,

stk

Last edited: