Allison 5sp: Fleece Tapshifter???

SparkZ03DMAX

Nov 16, 2009
North Carolina
I just read the new issue of Diesel Power, and I noticed that Fleece has put out a new product for 5 speed Allisons, the Tapshifter. The article said that it would give 01-05 5 speed trucks the gear control feature to the transmission. But how does that work for 01-02 Trucks? The 01-02 trucks dont have the same speedometer cluster like the 03+ trucks. So how would this work without the informational center and speedometer?

Last edited:

wsmithduramax

<--- Home Made!
May 4, 2009
Windsor, CO
i have one in mine, and it works great, i acutally just upgraded to the ali locker to give it a try but i just haven't put it in yet, hopefully tomorrow. anyways in the 01-02 models you will replace your shift lever, and from there plug in the rest of the module. As your drive with your gear selecter in (D) just simply push the (-) to downshift, and it will then take you down one gear, and the indicater will remain in the (D) posistion, after you hit it a second time it will then drop into the (3) posistion and so on. I've heard from the guys at fleece that i can wire in a LED light to indicate when i've taken it out of (OD) but i haven't made it that far yet. Anyways hope that helps sorry for the long write up.

1chevy02

Jun 23, 2009
and the fact that there is no way to hold the 02's in 4th gear for dyno pulls and street racing:rofl:

GMC_2002_Dmax

The Still Master
and the fact that there is no way to hold the 02's in 4th gear for dyno pulls and street racing:rofl:

Actually you can, a simple push button from Radio Shack will allow 2001/2001 trucks to lock out OD, I have had one one my 2002 since 2003.

If you have efi-live you can program the shift to not occur from 4th to 5th.

;)

Last edited:

HogAssWild

Nov 12, 2009
Is it like the 6or does it actually "lock" into gear?

Like in my put it in 4th it still shifhts into 1st 2nd and 3rd but it won't allow it to shift into 5th and 6th

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Is it like the 6or does it actually "lock" into gear?

Like in my put it in 4th it still shifhts into 1st 2nd and 3rd but it won't allow it to shift into 5th and 6th

it does exactly the same thing as physically moving the shifter around to the various positions on the 01-05 trucks...nothing more...no additional functionality....its just a cooler way of doing it.

no, it cant lock the transmission into 1 gear, and it wont force an upshift and allow you to 'lug' the engine

Last edited:

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az

my 02 will do it all day long. its called the ODLO switch (over drive lock out switch).

IMOP the tap shift is more of a cool factor. i can do everything the tap shift does (other than the alli locker) jsut by hittin the switch or moving the gear selector. the ODLO switch is much cheaper too lol

duramax hd

Feb 27, 2009
CT
i have one in mine, and it works great, i acutally just upgraded to the ali locker to give it a try but i just haven't put it in yet, hopefully tomorrow. anyways in the 01-02 models you will replace your shift lever, and from there plug in the rest of the module. As your drive with your gear selecter in (D) just simply push the (-) to downshift, and it will then take you down one gear, and the indicater will remain in the (D) posistion, after you hit it a second time it will then drop into the (3) posistion and so on. I've heard from the guys at fleece that i can wire in a LED light to indicate when i've taken it out of (OD) but i haven't made it that far yet. Anyways hope that helps sorry for the long write up.

Please let us know how the ali locker works out. I am curious;)

1chevy02

Jun 23, 2009
Actually you can, a simple push button from Radio Shack will allow 2001/2001 trucks to lock out OD, I have had one one my 2002 since 2003.

If you have efi-live you can program the shift to not occur from 4th to 5th.

;)

I know but I get tired of reflashing the tcm every time

I would like to have instructions on the radio shack switch install. Also to do the odlo switch don't you have to run a different tcm os.

wsmithduramax

<--- Home Made!
May 4, 2009
Windsor, CO
Please let us know how the ali locker works out. I am curious;)

So far the ali locker is great, haven't been down the track yet, but it shifts nice, I think im gonna have my tune tweeked a little in the next couple weeks so we'll see if i can get to the track after that... but i'll keep you updated...

GMC_2002_Dmax

The Still Master
I know but I get tired of reflashing the tcm every time

I would like to have instructions on the radio shack switch install. Also to do the odlo switch don't you have to run a different tcm os.

I will dig up the pin-outs, go and purchase a normally OPEN/momentary on switch from radio shack. It should work like a door bell button.

Install the switch, wire in a LED and a ground and it's a done deal.

Probably the switch is $2.99 and the four pins you need for the TCM connector is another $8-10 and if you want an LED another $2-3 .

You are looking at a $12-15 investment.

As far as a reflash, if you are on the dyno a 96K Allison cal/flash takes less than 3 minutes.

Brayden

Jan 16, 2008
www.fleeceperformance.com
The tapshifter actually does have more functionality than moving the shifter yourself. You can put the shifter in the manual 3 2 or 1 position and then tap the + button so that you can manually shift the truck while pulling but then not have to worry about exceeding the gear that you put the physical shifter in. It works great for pulling.