Question: Filter head

workin' diesel

factory tuned
Nov 13, 2010
Coalhust, AB Canada
Doing some reading and read something about taking the check ball out of the fuel filter head for better flow. Is this worth it at stock levels? Especially when cold? Could it hurt? Just looking for a garage project.

plowboy_lbz

Farmer
Aug 6, 2013
Probably not worth it. Without a lift pump it could cause a hard start by letting fuel return to the tank.

xtremebikr04

Jan 17, 2011
Vermont
Probably not worth it. Without a lift pump it could cause a hard start by letting fuel return to the tank.

How is fuel going to return back to the tank if the lines are air tight? The check ball is only there for when you change the filter. The filter has a prong that pushes the ball up.

workin' diesel

factory tuned
Nov 13, 2010
Coalhust, AB Canada
obviously it is not going to get me big power gains, but thought that maybe it would open up for better fuel flow when it is cold or when I lay into the throttle a little. I think that I read about it on a site that was selling the Nicktane Cat filter adapter.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!

That's not how it works. That is only a check ball to keep fuel from running out of the lines when you change the filter.

xtremebikr04

Jan 17, 2011
Vermont
obviously it is not going to get me big power gains, but thought that maybe it would open up for better fuel flow when it is cold or when I lay into the throttle a little. I think that I read about it on a site that was selling the Nicktane Cat filter adapter.

The nicktane adapter has you remove the ball and spring. I personally think taking it out helps flow. I have no tests to prove it wil, but looking at how far the filter doesn't push the ball it's common sense it will flow more. You can also take a 1/2" drill bit and enlarge the hole some without making it weaker.

plowboy_lbz

Farmer
Aug 6, 2013
I tested my lift pump pressure before and after a nicktane install and I gained .5 psi. I guess every little bit counts.

MechanicalReign

Mar 8, 2012
Ohio
dont think your gonna notice anything doing this. No matter what it still goes to an 3/8 hose could be smaller just before the cp3. Want better flow run the half inch line directly to the cp3. merchant sells the cp3 fitting :thumb:

Not sure why its half inch all the way up to that point

workin' diesel

factory tuned
Nov 13, 2010
Coalhust, AB Canada
I was looking at my fuel lines the other night also. They are starting to crack on the ends. I have thought about running new lines, but not sure about how that would go. Is it easy to pull it all through?

2003Duramaxlb7

May 4, 2014
Pensacola,FL
I also have the Cat Filter adapater, and was wondering the same.. Nickatane says to remove the ball and spring... I have not put my on yet, I'm going to go ahead and take my time and rebuild the filter housing also.. So should I remove ball and spring.?

Yellow Jacket

WannaBe Sled Puller
Feb 11, 2009
Waterloo, IA
I also have the Cat Filter adapater, and was wondering the same.. Nickatane says to remove the ball and spring... I have not put my on yet, I'm going to go ahead and take my time and rebuild the filter housing also.. So should I remove ball and spring.?

U have to, the adapter doesn't push the checkball up to let fuel flow...