Fass Vs Air Dog

MAXX IT OUT

<<<IT WORKS
Mar 1, 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
This has most likely has been gone over before. To me the only difference between these kits is the mounting location. Which is less visible and had the better mounting set up? I am looking at the 150's. Some pics may help me. Also is it a good idea to run all new fuel lines and a fuel pick-up?

Harbin_22

Dec 4, 2010
Southern Indiana
I am still using the stock pick up. Got a sump laying here but I kinda don't think it is necessary until you are making big power. I was in the 750+ and wasn't having any problems.

DIESELMAFIAPER.LB7

<----new hotness
Jan 17, 2010
idaho
shop.dieselmafiaperformance.com
No fass has larger passageways for the fuel thats also doesnt have a hard 90* like a airdog and polishs the fuel better also larger filters for better polishing as well and the airdog isn't flow threw like a fass

Id run a sump it helps but isn't required just nicer to have. Also the fass will be the most discrete if mounted correctly

Last edited:

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
IMO, either one will work for what you want to do. Just depends on which family member you want to deal with.

Last edited:

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
No fass has larger passageways for the fuel thats also doesnt have a hard 90* like a airdog and polishs the fuel better also larger filters for better polishing as well and the airdog isn't flow threw like a fass

Id run a sump it helps but isn't required just nicer to have. Also the fass will be the most discrete if mounted correctly

My AirDog is flow through.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
It may not be "flow through" but my truck ran/drove when my Airdog positive wire became disconnected, only noticed there was an issue at WOT, and of course at start up when I couldn't hear the pump running

I wouldnt call FASS 'flow thru" either. They may flow enough at stock power and normal driving...but not at the drag strip.
Its funny when you dont turn your pump on before you make a pass.... :roflmao: Sputter/pop/sputter/miss.....

Harbin_22

Dec 4, 2010
Southern Indiana
My AD 165 let's my truck run if it is not on. Not saying it will run WOT correctly but does run. As far as filters go, I run Baldwin filters on mine and are available 24/7 at fleet pride.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
The sump will fix the - 1/4 tank hard start issue though, correct?
You only get the 1/4 tank issues if you use a draw straw. If you are still using the factory pickup, you will have no issues with running out of fuel until you are actually out*.

The main (only?) reason for a sump is if you can't pull enough fuel through the factory pickup. Which, like Harbin said, is north of 700 HP.

*Assuming your factory pickup is working right. I had one get plugged by some debris and I would "run out" of fuel at 1/4-1/8 tank all the time. Removed the debris, and good to go.

Last edited:

DBUSHLB7

Team DMAX
Mar 9, 2012
Albuquerque, NM
You only get the 1/4 tank issues if you use a draw straw. If you are still using the factory pickup, you will have no issues with running out of fuel until you are actually out*.

The main (only?) reason for a sump is if you can't pull enough fuel through the factory pickup. Which, like Harbin said, is north of 700 HP.

*Assuming your factory pickup is working right. I had one get plugged by some debris and I would "run out" of fuel at 1/4-1/8 tank all the time. Removed the debris, and good to go.

I don't run out of fuel... Below 1/4 tank and it takes longer to start. Do I need to rebuild my fuel filter head? I don't use a draw straw with my AD 100.

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
As far as the "flow thru" concerns of the air dog, it is a flow through design, I put a sump in after I installed the Ad2 165gph pump, and when I change fuel filters it pours out with intensity, before the sump it didn't though... I have 20k miles on my pump now, about 12k with the sump, pump is fine, going strong, the sump seeps every now and then and I tighten the bolts in a cross pattern and it stops, and actually, I have not had to do it in several months now.

As for reasons to install the sump...everybody has their reasons to do stuff, mine was because I didn't want to install a draw straw, I wanted to eliminate the 1/4 tank issues, and I get about 60 more miles out of my tank now before I fuel up, the mileage as slight as it is, was one of the bigger factors, I could probably get more but I don't ever carry fuel and I don't really feel like pushing it. Also, the pump will last longer if it is gravity fed v.s having to suck fuel up the pick up tube or even a draw straw, being gravity fed makes it work less, it runs quieter too, which tells me it is working less and therefor running cooler and going to last longer too

Even though I don't have the power/fuel flow needs to support "needing" a sump, I felt like there are several other contributing beneficial factors to having one.