Fass flow thru

Duramax_JP

Jul 3, 2008
it's a gravity feed pick up from hellman perfromance here is a link it show's it on there home page . i know 5 guy's running them now all of us very happy . as i have stated before i can run at the drag strip on a 1/4 tank of fuel . as you can see from the design it is the very lowest spot on the tank now so you can suck it dry before you suck air . and also the gravity feed gives the lift pump posative pressure instead of it having to suck .

http://hellmannperformance.com/

sump1a.jpg

Damn that is slick.

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
theres a thread on here from the dude with the cummins in his ford. .....

heres the link where he got bashed about it

http://208.109.104.11/forum/showthread.php?t=10174

the guy got way more bashing than the product .and no one bashing the product has used it either . the question is can i drink a beer faster by punching a hole in the bottom then cracking the lid and shot gunning it , or sucking through a straw . dont want to argue about this product... i stated that its not a part for everyone ....and the draw straw fuel pick up will get the job done i know many people that run them , and have no testing to say that this will give you better rail pressure than a draw straw . but i garrentee you i will never suck a stitch of air .

MMLMM

Tunergeek
Mar 2, 2008
Reno, NV
www.dyncal.com
the guy got way more bashing than the product .and no one bashing the product has used it either . the question is can i drink a beer faster by punching a hole in the bottom then cracking the lid and shot gunning it , or sucking through a straw . dont want to argue about this product... i stated that its not a part for everyone ....and the draw straw fuel pick up will get the job done i know many people that run them , and have no testing to say that this will give you better rail pressure than a draw straw . but i garrentee you i will never suck a stitch of air .

I agree, I thought about the use of it. I'm still sitting here since that day with the hole saw ready, but just cant lol.

kenny

kennydiesel
Mar 5, 2009
washington state
I noticed after I installed my draw straw, I had a little less than a quarter tank of gas sitting at a light. I floored it after it turned green and the truck took off, when it shifted to second the truck hick-uped for a second then I backed down. I know the fuel pick-up sucked air cause all the fuel went to the back of the tank at take off.:eek: I'm thinking now I could just make a catch can for these "moments" of extreme take-off. I like the idea of the sump style pick up, but I think there will be alot more sediment going to the filters after seeing all the crap in the bottom of my tank. I know all the crude is from the OEM sending unit cause all the steel had rust like crazy.:mad:. I would even consider an anti slosh cup for the bottom of the pick-up tube.:D I'm still brain storming ideas, so chime in on all your thoughts guys. Thanks again.:)

MMLMM

Tunergeek
Mar 2, 2008
Reno, NV
www.dyncal.com
I noticed after I installed my draw straw, I had a little less than a quarter tank of gas sitting at a light. I floored it after it turned green and the truck took off, when it shifted to second the truck hick-uped for a second then I backed down. I know the fuel pick-up sucked air cause all the fuel went to the back of the tank at take off.:eek: I'm thinking now I could just make a catch can for these "moments" of extreme take-off. I like the idea of the sump style pick up, but I think there will be alot more sediment going to the filters after seeing all the crap in the bottom of my tank. I know all the crude is from the OEM sending unit cause all the steel had rust like crazy.:mad:. I would even consider an anti slosh cup for the bottom of the pick-up tube.:D I'm still brain storming ideas, so chime in on all your thoughts guys. Thanks again.:)

thats what I was trying to say earlier in the thread...its needed...

Last edited:

kenny

kennydiesel
Mar 5, 2009
washington state
thats what I was trying to say earlier in the thread...its needed...

The hardest part is engineering the "anti-slosh cup". My tank on my rock toyota has baffles inserted in it for extreme climbs and descents, but the tank is metal and was easy to weld baffles into it. I will think of something though, cause this hick-up thing is not gonna fly with me!:D

MMLMM

Tunergeek
Mar 2, 2008
Reno, NV
www.dyncal.com
The hardest part is engineering the "anti-slosh cup". My tank on my rock toyota has baffles inserted in it for extreme climbs and descents, but the tank is metal and was easy to weld baffles into it. I will think of something though, cause this hick-up thing is not gonna fly with me!:D

just attach the cup to the straw, with a few 1/4" holes in it at the bottom.

something about 6" dia and 3-4" deep. cap the top of it and put a hole for the draw straw to fit in, with a bunch of 1/4" holes in the top of it

kenny

kennydiesel
Mar 5, 2009
washington state
just attach the cup to the straw, with a few 1/4" holes in it at the bottom.

something about 6" dia and 3-4" deep. cap the top of it and put a hole for the draw straw to fit in, with a bunch of 1/4" holes in the top of it

The trick is finding or creating a "cup" of material that will not become soluable in the diesel and the attaching or fastening method used will not be eaten up by the fuel too. Any thoughts of this? Thanks:)

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.

This would be a good idea I think and also very necessary. I think possibly just one that holds more volume than the stocker for wide open throttle passes would work fine.

This comment in that other thread by Dmaxlover is the only thing that would concern me about using a bottom drain: "Looks like that design would suck a lot of fuel, along with all the extra crap that sits on the bottom of the tank." But I think with a little bit of a modification it could be setup to draw from a couple inches above the bottom of the tank to help prevent this problem.

Does anyone have a price on this thing?

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
This would be a good idea I think and also very necessary. I think possibly just one that holds more volume than the stocker for wide open throttle passes would work fine.

This comment in that other thread by Dmaxlover is the only thing that would concern me about using a bottom drain: "Looks like that design would suck a lot of fuel, along with all the extra crap that sits on the bottom of the tank." But I think with a little bit of a modification it could be setup to draw from a couple inches above the bottom of the tank to help prevent this problem.

Does anyone have a price on this thing?

List is 175 , we got a group buy and got them for 150 buying 4 . i cant speek for all but my tank was spotless when i pulled it out last to install this , 67,000 miles and 8 years old , i put a small inline filter before my fass just in case , and think of how easy they tank would be to drain now :joker: .

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
How long have you had it installed?

I wouldn't be too concerned about dirt, but where I live condensation is a big issue. That would be my only concern. Guess a guy would need a water blocker filter installed inline with it.

Last edited:

kenny

kennydiesel
Mar 5, 2009
washington state

Well, I guess I was dead wrong on this one. I tried everything I could on EMPTY yesterday to see if I could get the truck to stall again. Well, it never did. I think the one time it did it just happened to be a quincidence after the original install. I hate it when I prove myself wrong. Guess the quarter tank issue is no longer a myth in my book. Oh yeah, and the day before, I changed the factory fuel filter before this test. Thanks:)

Last edited:

LarryJewell

Back with his honey :)
Jan 21, 2007
San Angelo
the flow thru worked for me up until today, I usually cut the pump off and use it as a flow thru after about 180 miles on the tank of fuel. Today the truck lost prime when I went to crank it after lunch. Turned the pump on and the fuel pressure gauge verified that I wasnt getting fuel, I had 250 miles on this tank of fuel. Ended up borrowing my sons dodge to go get fuel cans filled (on the trip figured out the transfer case was shot so ended up taking it to the shop, quoted $1500-$2000 to fix it) and getting another ride to get fuel back to my truck.

Anyway, I put seven gallons in my tank, drove to the filling station and put in another 11 gallons to make it full, that means I got a freaking 18 gallon range in my truck, this really sucks :jerkit:

Guess its back to the drawing board................

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2007
NE Pa
the flow thru worked for me up until today, I usually cut the pump off and use it as a flow thru after about 180 miles on the tank of fuel. Today the truck lost prime when I went to crank it after lunch. Turned the pump on and the fuel pressure gauge verified that I wasnt getting fuel, I had 250 miles on this tank of fuel. Ended up borrowing my sons dodge to go get fuel cans filled (on the trip figured out the transfer case was shot so ended up taking it to the shop, quoted $1500-$2000 to fix it) and getting another ride to get fuel back to my truck.

Anyway, I put seven gallons in my tank, drove to the filling station and put in another 11 gallons to make it full, that means I got a freaking 18 gallon range in my truck, this really sucks :jerkit:

Guess its back to the drawing board................

:mad: and you broke your son's truck at it:baby: