Fan clutch engagement

LarryJewell

Back with his honey :)
Jan 21, 2007
San Angelo
so far since putting on twins I havent had the fan clutch engauge, and we have had similar weather as to when it was coming on all the time :D...............................or maybe the damn thing just finally wore out :jerkit:

Last edited:

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
Run water and water wetter! then install a elctric pump and those racing stats from Pat

you will have a hard time getting the truck up to temp:D

LarryJewell

Back with his honey :)
Jan 21, 2007
San Angelo
Run water and water wetter! then install a elctric pump and those racing stats from Pat

you will have a hard time getting the truck up to temp:D

at first my temps would stay in the 169* range with the new racing stats, but the last week or so with hotter outside temps, i'm getting the temps back up to 190 ish, but still havent gotten the fan clutch to engage. I'm beginning to think that it might be related to pulling hot air from a small enclosure (airbox) rather than from a larger area (no airbox enclosure) :confused: on that fan. Anyways, i'm not complaining anymore since its fixed in my mind :D

Mike

hmmm....
Feb 17, 2007
San Angelo, TX
Actually its a silicone based heat activated fluid. We used to change it in the Toyotas all the time. Never seen it on a cheby though:D You can still buy it from toyota if you have the part number-I have 2 tubes of it sitting on our bench collecting dust.

Isn't it a viscous fluid of some sort Larry?

Killerbee

Got Honey?
Larry

did this become a bigger problem after the induction work?

can you post a log of IAT and boost for your typical drive? If you haven't dampened IAT swings, this is a big part of the issue.

also, if you can somehow log COT, compressor output temp, that may be a big part of the story.

BTW, I am working on producing a fan pulley that makes more sense. Google search "fan drive ratio" for LLY duramax, and you may see what I am talking about. I decided in 05 that the LLY fan was overdriven, and may finally get around to fixing it. This will preserve flow while reducing noise and parasitic loss.

Last edited: