Factory Fuel Filter delete with airdog?

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
it is a kit that you can build yourself for a lot less money than it was sold for.
i found out the hard way.
it was sold by Nick Dickmico or whatever his name is

on edit: here's the link if you want to see it. take everything on that site with a grain of salt. JMO

http://nicktane.com/osc/

Last edited:

JD4440

<< Lo-Carb Monster
Feb 27, 2009
Orlinda, TN
CAT secondary Filter, mounts under the bed beneath the filler neck. While the maker may not have such good standing with enthusiast the kit has been great for me.

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
The newest of GM filters is rated at 4 micron's and the aftermarket kits like Nicktane use a 2 micron or 1 micron. I can't see how eliminating the factory kit can cause any damage unless you're careless in some way that allows contamination into your system that didn't get filtered. The Airdog kit also has a 2 micron filter for use with it.

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
The newest of GM filters is rated at 4 micron's and the aftermarket kits like Nicktane use a 2 micron or 1 micron. I can't see how eliminating the factory kit can cause any damage unless you're careless in some way that allows contamination into your system that didn't get filtered. The Airdog kit also has a 2 micron filter for use with it.

I agree as long as your using a good filter.....Some of those glass filters look to be nice and very low micron 2 and also have huge GPH

GPH is something that needs to be considered especially for the amount of fuel you intend to run.JMHO

Last edited:

Rhall

Old Skooler
Aug 12, 2006
Texas Y'all

I agree, i just use my fass filters. If dirty fuel was the problem with the injectors, then secondary filter kits would have helped, but they still go out with them.

770JOHNNYW

Sep 16, 2009
Gainesville ,Ga
How are you guys doing this, just completely removing the rubber line from the filter housing to the ficm and putting the rubber line going into the filter housing in its place?

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
For those that have deleted the factory filter how have you plumbed it? Did you delete back to the hard lines only?

Mine is complete from the fuel tank to the cp3s with new line including new return line basicly 3/4" in 1/2" out. It is compltly up to you:)

How are you guys doing this, just completely removing the rubber line from the filter housing to the ficm and putting the rubber line going into the filter housing in its place?

That would be the simplest but I think those are 2 diff size of hoses??? IIRC? either way they make cheap hose adapters;):) If your hoses look rough I would consider changing them

steakman

Diesel Nut...
Aug 31, 2009
Barrie, Ontario
I think the bgiggest issue with the OEM fitler assy is that it is a pain in the ass to get at and the new style filters are way too Freaking expensive up here (>$ 85.00 CAD), and to me that is pure BS for a lousy filter. My solution is to buy ultra cheap steel cased fuel filters (flea-bay), for the OEM mount, added a Large CAT filter-water separator/PPE lift pump assy under rail by the fuel cooler and continue to use a 3rd filter assy after the OEM set up. So 3 filters: CAT is 10mU, OEM is whatever..? and the final is a Standyne @ 5mU also with a water separator.

So far so good.

I also thought that that the OEM filter incoroporated a fuel heater..??? Anyone confirm that.?

stk.

05lly2500hd

(903)293-6026
Feb 16, 2008
Texarkana, TX
late bump, but deleting the factory filter, how will this harm anything if you have your own filtration granting at least as good or better than factory? By installing a filter say on the frame rail by tank and removing the stocker setup, only thing you have to worry about is what's left in the line when you do this mod..right? so add "secondary filtration" run it for a day, remove factory setup and no fuel between "secondary" to the injectors are unfiltered.

I don't understand how doing such will harm anything??? just making sure you don't get ANY debris into anything when you make the swap/delete.
Of course this is also if the filter is post lift pump. I'd rather save an engine, than a pump.

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
I run the AD165II and have deleted my under hood filter system and have no problems. It does help responsiveness by keeping more fuel to the pumps.

Lb7KID

ZoomZoom
Jan 24, 2010
parker,colo
i deleted my fuel factory filter. put a fleet guard f.s1000. after my raptor on the side of my frame rail and have had zero issues :thumb: