LBZ: Exterior lights

Chucky797

Oct 30, 2013
New Bern, NC
Good afternoon, I have recently had time to trouble shoot my headlight issue. While doing that I think i messed something up so my taillights stopped working also. they might have not been working from the beginning but I'm not 100% sure. While driving down the road my headlights would stop working but my high beams would still operate. That would require me to drive down the road blinding people, but the low beams would start working again after a little bit. Like i said, today i was messing around and working on trying to figure it all out and noticed my taillights weren't working also. Here are several scenarios of what i did and if they worked or not, and if you could point me in the direction to see what the part that is bad might be.

1. Headlight switch in auto, ambient sensor uncovered, lights don't work. Just like how it is supposed to operate.

2. Headlight switch in park, ambient sensor uncovered, parking lights turn on, no dash lights. Work part way.

3. Headlight switch in driving lights, ambient sensor uncovered, no headlights, no dash lights. No exterior lights work except parking lights.

4. Headlight switch in auto, ambient sensor covered. Headlights work, taillights work, dash lights work.

5. Headlight switch in park, ambient sensor covered. Headlights work, taillights work, dash lights work. They headlights should turn off, does not work correctly.

I should also say that with the sensor covered and i turn it to shut all lights off they remain on. If anyone could point me in the right direction on what to replace would be greatly appreciated. I am leaning toward the headlight switch. The only things i could think of being the cause of the problem would be the sensor, switch, or BCM. I am hoping it is not the BCM.

Thanks for the help. Truck is a 2007 classic 2500.

Chucky797

Oct 30, 2013
New Bern, NC
anybody have any advice? I think my headlight switch is bad, and i might have a loose wire somewhere. I am thinking of just taking it to the dealer to have them figure it out. I tried my best to figure it out but I can't trace it down.

1ATony

Jul 2, 2013
It could be a headlight switch that's heating up and going bad. You may want to take the switch out and check the back of it to see if it's melted at all, or check for signs of heat damage.

We might have a replacement for you if you need one.

Tony

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I would want to do a little more diagnosing with a test light or a multi-meter before I replaced anything, but it sounds like the headlight switch is a pretty good guess so far.

Chucky797

Oct 30, 2013
New Bern, NC
Well it looks like I am back facing the headlight issue. My high beams work and now my low beams do not. While I was driving home from work I hit a bump and the low beams went out. I got a multimeter out and found out this information. Does it look right to you. It was all tested at the relay for the low beams

Pin 86- Battery Voltage
Pin 30- Battery Voltage
Pin 85- Battery Voltage
Pin 87- none.

So looking at the relay diagram I jumped pin 30 to 87 and the headlights turned on. My first assumption is that the relay is bad. I took the fog light one and put it in, still no lights. Where should be the next step for me? Or does someone have a diagram of it. I have a feeling one of my pins is not supposed to have voltage and is just supposed to be grounded. Like pin 85 or something. All the tests were done without the relay in, just open contacts.