Exhaust Brake - trouble, VERY FRUSTRATED

nar

Now with less _
Feb 7, 2008
Wyoming
It can't have anything to do with leveling and tire pressure. Lots of trucks with that. Hell I had my tpms limit set lower so I can run 42 psi so it rides better. My downshifting and turbo braking works great. I do pull trailers all the time too but even when not it doesn't learn to run different. I've programmed our lmms to turbo brake but the extra aggressive downshifts on the lml are better.
Have a dealer pull the warranty history and see if they put what they fixed. Sounds to me like some sort of calibration for the turbo sensor or something related.

Shitzengiggles92

Oct 16, 2015
Iowa
I know I'm about a year and a half late but I'm curious if this has ever been figured out? I'm having the same problem with mine. 2012 lml has efi live tuning and 4 inch turbo back strait pipe all emissions deleted. The brake always worked when I had it tuned up until maybe a month ago. Then all of a sudden it quit working. I brought it to a buddy of mine (certified diesel tech) who has one of the scanner tool things and it basically showed that when we held down the exhaust brake switch, the brake was on, but when we let off the switch it was off. We assumed it was the switch, so I installed a new switch and it's still not working. It's driving me nuts lol. Truck has 51,000 miles on it

Killerbee

Got Honey?
If I set the cruise control to about 50 MPH and then begin pushing the decelerate button for the cruise control, the truck will begin down shifting and for just a second or 2 the exhaust brake will be aggressive again and then just be minimal.

Log your truck leaving the cruise control disengaged.

A gut feeling is that a safe protocol for tuning may be to eliminate chances of traction loss (with slippery conditions), by deactivating or reducing turbo braking with CC. Full driver interface required. It is worth a shot.

Yellow Jacket

WannaBe Sled Puller
Feb 11, 2009
Waterloo, IA
I have connected to his truck, I actually tuned it, it is a Motor Ops AutoCal...

When I push his button on the dash, the display reads Exhaust Brake Active....but the Tech 2 reads inactive, unless you hold the button down?!? If you observe the Tech 2 display as you push the button it changes to Active, but as you let off button it switched back to inactive, if you hold it in, it stays Active on Tech 2. But the Display keeps reading Exhaust Brake Active on the dash, even though the Tech 2 doesn't agree/match?

Anyone have any suggestions??

My response is referring to shitzengigglez92...

jwrkansas

Mar 3, 2012
Seeing how that truck has efi, I'd make sure all of the segment info is 100% correct per tis....incorrect segs will piss the brake off.....not sure that's the situation but it's free to check

Duramax_9505

Oct 29, 2016
Old thread, but did anyone figure out the problem? Have a 2011 LML that is doing the same thing. Thinking maybe it could be the switch. Just stopped working for no reason.

Ron Nielson

Oct 11, 2009
Berryton, KS
Old thread, but did anyone figure out the problem? Have a 2011 LML that is doing the same thing. Thinking maybe it could be the switch. Just stopped working for no reason.

Check battery+ power to the switch and then the ground on the other side. Is that switch on a fuse protected circuit? Check the fuse. If fuse is good, see if other things on that circuit fail to work at the same time the switch fails.

Ccolby

Oct 23, 2022
Good morning fellas, I’m reading this post because two nights ago coming home on Wolf creek pass my 2014 Silverado exhaust brake decided it was not going to function any longer with approximately 18,000 behind me and at least 1500 pounds of tools and diesel fuel in the bed. It is a one ton SRW with 81,000 miles on it. Unmolested and we are the original owners. It has towed trouble free until this point mostly by my wife as it was hers until she opted for a Tahoe and passed it on to me. She tows a 20 foot V that grosses 10k and I occasionally put a 18k load on it (24 foot PJ equipment trailer). Anyways there’s a little background.

Here is the situation I tow everyday and have commercially for twenty years to include an 8 year run with CDOT pushing snow off the road. I’d say I have a fairly reasonable grip on the towing thing. As mentioned two nights ago returning with 6 chords of wood on my equipment trailer along with a four wheeler and two job boxes with carpentry tools in them I lost my primary braking system for this decent. Very quickly as I left the summit speed increased to 30 MPH and about 3100 on the tach. This is where I’d prefer to hold the vehicle below and had many times before But not with this trailer and this load. Prior to being gifted the Chevy I used either my 04 Cummins with the NV5600 (3rd gear brake on never touch the service brake till the bottom hair pin) or the 97 Ram with the twelve valve Cummins (NV4500)braking on it is even better. Neither vehicle is modified in any way either. The Chevy hands down out pulls these earlier generation Rams but even when the exhaust brake was working okay it was no match for the Rams I’ll assume greatly due to the fact that they posses real transmissions where the operator has to know what to do and when to do it. now by the time I reached the flat spot midway down the hill where CSP likes to sit and write well deserved tickets to the Subaru driving tourists I knew I needed to pull in or it would be the truck ramp for me. Brakes were mildly stinky. All the way around. I sat and waited for them to cool. When I started the decent I was in Tow Haul brake on selector in 1 position. I tried varying the trans position selector from 1 to manual mode to D position nothing seemed to help. I allowed my speed to increase knowing that there was a supposed minimum automatic release of the brake below 28? If this is true then avoid Red, north side of Slumgolian Pass because with these two hills 28 is at the upper end of safe travel.
so getting back to it my only course of action would be drive it in low range to further assist the braking ability or drop the trailer and go get it back later with my Cummins. I chose to drop it into low range and stay over in the sand to help with binding the drive train. I turned very shallow to avoid harsh reaction to a locked up bind situation. I canceled 4 low just above the S turns and it again took off.

so I’m asking you Guys who might have pro level input have you heard of this issue, and if so what is the fix?

thank you fellas!

Chuck

2014 3500 SRW Duramax bone stock 81k

Mikey52

Sep 20, 2018
The torque converter doesn't lock in lower gears. Your trying to descend a mountain with the clutch pedal pushed in.

I believe the 2022+ will lock in first.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Good morning fellas, I’m reading this post because two nights ago coming home on Wolf creek pass my 2014 Silverado exhaust brake decided it was not going to function any longer with approximately 18,000 behind me and at least 1500 pounds of tools and diesel fuel in the bed. It is a one ton SRW with 81,000 miles on it. Unmolested and we are the original owners. It has towed trouble free until this point mostly by my wife as it was hers until she opted for a Tahoe and passed it on to me. She tows a 20 foot V that grosses 10k and I occasionally put a 18k load on it (24 foot PJ equipment trailer). Anyways there’s a little background.

Here is the situation I tow everyday and have commercially for twenty years to include an 8 year run with CDOT pushing snow off the road. I’d say I have a fairly reasonable grip on the towing thing. As mentioned two nights ago returning with 6 chords of wood on my equipment trailer along with a four wheeler and two job boxes with carpentry tools in them I lost my primary braking system for this decent. Very quickly as I left the summit speed increased to 30 MPH and about 3100 on the tach. This is where I’d prefer to hold the vehicle below and had many times before But not with this trailer and this load. Prior to being gifted the Chevy I used either my 04 Cummins with the NV5600 (3rd gear brake on never touch the service brake till the bottom hair pin) or the 97 Ram with the twelve valve Cummins (NV4500)braking on it is even better. Neither vehicle is modified in any way either. The Chevy hands down out pulls these earlier generation Rams but even when the exhaust brake was working okay it was no match for the Rams I’ll assume greatly due to the fact that they posses real transmissions where the operator has to know what to do and when to do it. now by the time I reached the flat spot midway down the hill where CSP likes to sit and write well deserved tickets to the Subaru driving tourists I knew I needed to pull in or it would be the truck ramp for me. Brakes were mildly stinky. All the way around. I sat and waited for them to cool. When I started the decent I was in Tow Haul brake on selector in 1 position. I tried varying the trans position selector from 1 to manual mode to D position nothing seemed to help. I allowed my speed to increase knowing that there was a supposed minimum automatic release of the brake below 28? If this is true then avoid Red, north side of Slumgolian Pass because with these two hills 28 is at the upper end of safe travel.
so getting back to it my only course of action would be drive it in low range to further assist the braking ability or drop the trailer and go get it back later with my Cummins. I chose to drop it into low range and stay over in the sand to help with binding the drive train. I turned very shallow to avoid harsh reaction to a locked up bind situation. I canceled 4 low just above the S turns and it again took off.

so I’m asking you Guys who might have pro level input have you heard of this issue, and if so what is the fix?

thank you fellas!

Chuck

2014 3500 SRW Duramax bone stock 81k

as much as we like the story, chuck, its taking away from details we need to know to help any kind of diagnosing. your cummins exhaust brakes is a vastly different operation than the one on your gm.

we need to know:
Do you have any codes?
did the exhaust brake work prior to this?
was the exhaust brake light illuminated on the switch while all this was happening?
does the truck have any other issues currently that need fixing or any other lights on, on the dash?

The torque converter doesn't lock in lower gears. Your trying to descend a mountain with the clutch pedal pushed in.

I believe the 2022+ will lock in first.

2020+ will lock in first.

I wonder if the clutch in the converter was slipping

doubtful, it should have thrown a code if so. specially for what he is claiming.

Ccolby

Oct 23, 2022
No codes. No other issues. It has worked until this point. All typically lighter loads in the 10,000 lb range.great puller don’t get me wrong but the exhaust brake has never been super strong. I do understand it’s a completely different setup. It might be that I need a lower gear set altogether as I’m on roads where you will encounter switchbacks from 90 to 180 degrees exceeding 10 percent grade at times briefly. First gear is entirely to fast the rest of the gears are not of any use at all on say Slumgollian north side north bound, or Red mountain pass upper half north or south bound 10 MPH max on repeated turns For miles.

ive used it once since it hauled 1450 gallons of water on our water trailer PJ dual tandem tare weight 8800 gross approximately 20,600 based on water being 8.14 lbs per gallon. It did hold back okay but I didn’t cross any passes just rolling hills. I left it in Tow/haul no manual mode brake on. So I guess without further diagnosis you guys may be correct but I could swear the brake worked down in low and in manual shift prior.

More to come as I have it. I thank you very much for all of your information and input. I’m new to automatics. I’ve had 4,5,6,8LL,10, 13, or 18 speeds prior to this vehicle and never had the luxury of owning this technology. It’s very nice in stop and go traffic no more creeping along in the middle lane in fourth gear nearly at idle watching everyone fly around you till you get clear of the accident!

anyways thank you again fellas I’m not convinced it’s operating correctly but I will be trying all that has been offered and providing feed back as I have it. Nobody wants it to work out more than I do cause riding in an LTZ vs. an 04 Ram is no contest what’s more comfortable!

Mikey52

Sep 20, 2018
Get an edge cts 3 or banks idash and monitor the vane position. One the edge the position will indicate 100% when it's working.