exhast drone

921500Z71

Apr 14, 2009
Kansas
I have the 5" but theres a spot in the rpm range, roughly 2200-2400 there is a drone. Not for sure why its only for a couple hundred rpm but besides that i dont really notice anything.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
LB7's are known for drone. I got the CORSA drone buster muffler when I did my BURB because of how prone the BURB is to drone problems, and even with it I still notice it a little.

whitetrash21

put on da damn helmet day
Apr 29, 2008
Vegas
At 100+ mph, the drone's mostly gone.... When I slow down, the music's too loud. Solves all my problems that way.

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
It's not the exhaust fault. I had the same 4" Banks exhaust thats on my LBZ on my last truck which was a LB7. The LB7 had a drone at highway speed and the LBZ does'nt drone at all with the same exhaust system. Just get a bigger turbo and your problem will be solved:thumb:

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
I dont know how much trouble that would be, but I would think most any aftermarket turbo would help with exhaust drone. Also after more thought, The LBZ has a 6-speed which keeps the rpms down at cruising speed. I'm sure this helps too. The main point I was trying to make was LB7 have allot of exhaust noise, due to the type of turbo they have. Another option would be the front pipe with the resonator in it. I cant remember what company makes it but I've heard they work good.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
The wastegated turbo engine are louder since it is a more open exhaust path out the turbo whereas the LLY/LBZ have the VGT and the turbo blades act like mifflers as the exhaust hit's them. This is why some have opened the vanes in them more and commented how they sound like an LB7 does. Also the extra injection events in the LBZ really helps to keep the noise levels down. You can always add in a DIMONDEYE quiet front pipe to your exhaust and get rid of most of the drone, or just weld in a resonator/glass pack in front of your muffler and cut most of the drone out.

Last edited: