Excessive EGT Probe length?

SIKDMAX

Highway Burnouts!
Sep 14, 2007
Central Coast, Cali
www.sikdmax.com
Installed my EGT Probe the other day and it just wasnt long enough to get from passenger manifold to my steering column. I need about 4 more feet. I ordered a 3 meter Type K EGT extension from this company: (seems great and fast shipping FYI )

www.thermoworks.com

Anyway the extension is like 9 or 10 feet and I only need about 4... any issues with leaving the entire extension in or should I cut it down to only what I need? Ive heard different stories about extending probe leads, different resistance, calibration, etc.

Thanks

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
You are right to be concerned, but I do not have an answer. Sometimes screwing with thermocouple extensions can alter #'s.

It SOUNDS like you would be OK, but I'd check first with the mfr.

SIKDMAX

Highway Burnouts!
Sep 14, 2007
Central Coast, Cali
www.sikdmax.com
Ya, I just wasnt sure. I thought about extending original probe, but Ive heard resistance issues, etc and when I pulled the conector apart the wires were solid copper not stranded, and I didnt have any similar sized solid around, so I didnt test anything by extending. I will connect up the extension in full first and see if it seems accurate.

Thanks Pat.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
It's not the resistance, it's the dissimiliar metal thingy.

Dissimiliar metals generate a voltage when heated, which is how the thermocouple works. So extensions can possibly alter that voltage if they aren't right.

SIKDMAX

Highway Burnouts!
Sep 14, 2007
Central Coast, Cali
www.sikdmax.com
OK, that makes sense then and therefore me extending wouldnt work. However I know my probe is a "K" type, and therefore I ordered a "K" type extension, so hopefully things should be good. Probe is on UPS truck for delivery today, we shall see.

SIKDMAX

Highway Burnouts!
Sep 14, 2007
Central Coast, Cali
www.sikdmax.com
The jelly beans were a nice touch :D

thermoextension.jpg

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
How long is the cable that came with you gauge 8'.5"?

I actually got a longer cable from Autometer when I ordered my gauges but i dont see where they sell it now?

SIKDMAX

Highway Burnouts!
Sep 14, 2007
Central Coast, Cali
www.sikdmax.com
The length of cable on the probe was only 6 feet. It makes it from my pass. manifold to about the brake booster.

Ive heard about/seen Autometer K extension cable but searched extensively and couldnt find it, so I got it from these guys.

Ill put it in tonight and test but im sure it will be fine... have a couple other wiring issues to clean up as well.

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
The length of cable on the probe was only 6 feet. It makes it from my pass. manifold to about the brake booster.

Ive heard about/seen Autometer K extension cable but searched extensively and couldnt find it, so I got it from these guys.

Ill put it in tonight and test but im sure it will be fine... have a couple other wiring issues to clean up as well.

FWIW you can get a 8.5' from Autometer

Street Series Probe Kit Product #:
Complete Probe kit includes 1/4" dia. Stainless Closed Tip Probe with 8 1/2 ft. wire plus 1/4" compression - 1/8" NPT connector and Heat Shrink for sealing wiring connections.