Engine Stand's and mounting options for a Duramax build

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
I'd probably have something like this too if I didn't stumble across that OTC for $450.
The cheapest used one I can find near me is $1100... LOL
Given this one looks like it was stored out side, I would rather purchase a new one for the price difference...

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
Honestly? I've seen worse ideas.
It's not a bad idea, However I only posted the image for the Idea. The Execution and how it turned out are what make it crude...

It's the 4th post in this thread. I get it when you have a flux core and only so much to work with, But the way he scabbed some of it together, I do not agree with.

Any way, I remember when those orange stands were only $40 at harbor freight. I happen to have 2 left sitting in pile out back. I got sick of how sloppy they were and I finally bought a geared sunnex style engine stand.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
It's not a bad idea, However I only posted the image for the Idea. The Execution and how it turned out are what make it crude...

It's the 4th post in this thread. I get it when you have a flux core and only so much to work with, But the way he scabbed some of it together, I do not agree with.
I have the 6.0L mounts that Norco makes, very nice pieces. It's a pricey stand and we don't use it anywhere near as much as we should but god damn is it nice as hell.

Any way, I remember when those orange stands were only $40 at harbor freight. I happen to have 2 left sitting in pile out back. I got sick of how sloppy they were and I finally bought a geared sunnex style engine stand.
That's what I use for transmissions is a geared style. It's so much easier than messing with spinning it manually.

I'm about to grab a new HF Daytona version and give it a shot as the gearbox on mine is getting worn out. I really should pull it apart and see where the failure is. It feels like one of the gears may or may not be having a real bad time in there as it's got a real nice clunk.

Reactions: 1FastBrick

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
I have the 6.0L mounts that Norco makes, very nice pieces. It's a pricey stand and we don't use it anywhere near as much as we should but god damn is it nice as hell.

That's what I use for transmissions is a geared style. It's so much easier than messing with spinning it manually.

I'm about to grab a new HF Daytona version and give it a shot as the gearbox on mine is getting worn out. I really should pull it apart and see where the failure is. It feels like one of the gears may or may not be having a real bad time in there as it's got a real nice clunk.
You know you can get parts for the sunnex geared one to repair it right???swimming. If yours is the sunnex or sunnex style. The resale in other colors and brands...
It could be the gear needs shimming.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
You know you can get parts for the sunnex geared one to repair it right???swimming. If yours is the sunnex or sunnex style. The resale in other colors and brands...
It could be the gear needs shimming.
It's an older Jegs unit. I'll have to pull the cover and take a look. It still works so I haven't really messed with it. I will tho, I didn't realize they were rebuildable. It was $289.99 when I ordered it in July 2020.