engine issues!!!!

zac collins

May 5, 2022
I have a 2007 classic lbz. the truck was previously owned by my best friend who passed away on Christmas eve 2021. When we received the truck it had a passenger-side head gasket out due to stretched head bolts. so it was immediately sent in for grade C head gaskets and all-new ARP head studs, the best and strongest you can buy. we got the truck back and it has a haze at idle but once you drive the truck it goes away and runs fine. in only cylinder #4 at idle the injector balance rate is way out of wack but once you drive the truck it goes back down to perfect. There is no sign of a knock and there is no rough idle. The truck has an SDP S400 kit with a BorgWarner S472 with exergy 45% injectors and an exergy 10mm cp3 pump. I am in desperate help to get input on what could be wrong before having to dig internally to find the issue. Thanks-Zac

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I'd check compression. it's possible you have one or more bad injectors. could always swap them around and see if the balance rate follows. did you have the head rebuilt or just do the gasket? another recent thread here someone had the heads rebuilt but the shop messed up the valve guides and it was leaking oil into the cylinder. would smoke on start but clear up after driving

also, what fuel pressure are you running at idle?

zac collins

May 5, 2022
I'd check compression. it's possible you have one or more bad injectors. could always swap them around and see if the balance rate follows. did you have the head rebuilt or just do the gasket? another recent thread here someone had the heads rebuilt but the shop messed up the valve guides and it was leaking oil into the cylinder. would smoke on start but clear up after driving

also, what fuel pressure are you running at idle?
all cylinders have good compression. it hazes at idle and doesn't really clear out. the valves were adjusted and all valves were pulled and went through. the truck over fuels at idle. i called exergy and they said swap 4 and 1 and see if it follows. if it stays then its an internal issue

zac collins

May 5, 2022
keep us updated on the injector swap and balance rates
last night I took a look at it and when the truck idles the balance rates are at around 6-7 but, when you put it in drive and don't go anywhere it goes down to 1.5-2

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
engine up to temp and A/C off? what is the main fuel mm3 rate for each of those readings?

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
all cylinders have good compression. it hazes at idle and doesn't really clear out. the valves were adjusted and all valves were pulled and went through. the truck over fuels at idle. i called exergy and they said swap 4 and 1 and see if it follows. if it stays then its an internal issue
What are the compression numbers?

Like said above, balance rates me just about nothing without the main fuel rate being taken into account.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
If you wont give actual numbers, nobody could possibly give you any real help, just guesses.

As I say to many newbies, "We arent standing there working on the truck with you."

Reactions: Bdsankey