Engine build. What to do?

Cknight199

Aug 23, 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
Okay so I'm pricing out an engine build and hoping to have all the funds by next winter. Truck will be running a 72mm VGT Danville turbo. Hoping to get 850hp out of it. This will be a budget build so I'm only looking for necessary parts. So far:

Finger oval pistons
Carrillo Rods
Arp head studs and main studs
Engine overhaul kit/gaskets
Clevite H series bearings?
Crank and cam keyed
Balanced
Possibly heads?
Hamilton springs and pushrods?
Billet flexplate?

Okay so a few questions... Please excuse me for some of them as they are questions I couldn't find answers too...

What exactly happens when you get crank and cam keyed? How does it help the motor?

Should I be doin oil pumps and water pumps while the motor is apart? Recommendations?

Are the things with "?" Really necessary?

I'm going with .020 and 16.5:1 or 16.9:1 compressions ratio to help with cold starts as this is a daily driver and winter vehicle too.

Ohh and do I need a damper and billet flexplate?

dbev24

Oct 27, 2011
Darlington pa
Well I wouldn't do aftermarket heads unless you feel like soending money. 850 is possible with stock heads and hd valve springs.

quinton

Nov 28, 2011
Granbury Tx.
Ill be doing the same build as you. Ill be using stock heads maybe some springs, Carrillo rods, fingers pistons, main studs, (already got head studs) bearings, and that will be it for me. Maybe later on ill get flex plate and dampner. Ill go 100 overs so I can practice tuning them.

quinton

Nov 28, 2011
Granbury Tx.
Weld your stock water pump oil pump is a plus if you want to spend some more money. It's really up to you and how much you wanna spend

Cknight199

Aug 23, 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
Ill be doing the same build as you. Ill be using stock heads maybe some springs, Carrillo rods, fingers pistons, main studs, (already got head studs) bearings, and that will be it for me. Maybe later on ill get flex plate and dampner. Ill go 100 overs so I can practice tuning them.

Any idea on what your total cost is? I'm hoping under 10k... The lower the better/"sooner" :D

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
if you are staying under the 800 mark..

17-17.5:1 will help with cold weather running/starting and thinner air..

also look at gapless rings it will help increase effeciency of you engine

Cknight199

Aug 23, 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
Okay anyone have a shop in Utah, around Salt Lake City to Provo that they can recommend? There are big names like industrial injection, but they will charge alot... The shop will assemble the short block and machine the block, key the crank and cam.

Also should I do Hamilton pushrods and springs? Does the machining shop adjust the heads or do I need to find a shop that can do it? Should I go with a larger cam to get more flow? Thanks

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
Take it to the shop that does Industrials work; Randy's. I think their in Ogden, not 100% sure.

My buddy here in PHX just got his built 5.9 shortblock back from them :woott:

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
Yea that's the impression I was under. I will see what type of a deal I can get through industrial. Does he assemble the short block as well?

I can get everything done thru randy billing is just done at ii on my part for randy to make it easy for him these days.