Engine autopsy

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
pulled the wngine out finally , and got it torn down and ready to to machine , still fairly happy with how well it held up and the tear down show's the same , bearings looked pretty decent , cylinder walls all looked pretty good except for the hole that lost the piston ,all the pistons looked good except for the one that failed , head gaskets looked good and was only on the base level ARP studs , Injector cups were all still sealed with using stock hold down , all in all not much to report :)

DSCF4435.jpg

DSCF4434.jpg

DSCF4432.jpg

DSCF4431.jpg

DSCF4428.jpg

DSCF4426.jpg

DSCF4423.jpg

DSCF4421.jpg

DSCF4418.jpg

DSCF4417.jpg

DSCF4414.jpg

DSCF4436.jpg

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
Thats not too bad. Are you going with stock cut pistons or forged units this time?

Stingpuller

The Pusher Man
Jan 11, 2007
central Ohio
Thanks for showing

Trent, you may want to look at the mains. It looks like they are moving around on the cap surface. I need to get mine apart and stop messing around. Jeff

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
Are you going to do build thread or is it all going to be:secret:

no secret , this time I am going with 20 over Arias forged pistons , Cam , Gridle/ main studs , and some head work if money allows.

Thats not too bad. Are you going with stock cut pistons or forged units this time?

yep Aria's

How do the wristpins and bushings look? Curious if the Howard's helped.

Dont know Travis I didn't pull them, if the motor doesnt leave for machine today I will pop a few out and take some pics for ya , if it leaves then I will ask Randy to let me know how the look.

Trent, you may want to look at the mains. It looks like they are moving around on the cap surface. I need to get mine apart and stop messing around. Jeff

I agree they were def moving , going with a girdle this time around so hopefully it helps but for stock main bolts and 1200 hp I expect it to be worse and kinda expected to see more bearing wear , thanks for the heads up though Jeff and I appreciate any insight you have to offer.

Last edited:

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
trent are you going to have the crank magnafluxed / polished?

The motor is in Randy's Engine and Machines hands, for inspection and machining , I may even have him assemble it too do to time constraints at the moment , so what ever he thinks is needed it will get , I know the crank will need to be polished and am almost positive he will flux it too but I am leaving it to Randy , he knows what he is doing .

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
Josh's mains and piston look identical to yours trent.

I am curious what your cam retaining plate looks like.

Also remember those are the factory bearings with 2 race seasons ( 1 @ 700 hp and next at 1k plus ) and have 70k miles on the also . I'll let you know on the cam plate .

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
So refresh my memory, that's just rods with delipped lb7 pistons then slapped back together, right? No balancing or any other machine work, right???

Impressive for the $$$ spent, or should I say not spent?! ;)

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
So refresh my memory, that's just rods with delipped lb7 pistons then slapped back together, right? No balancing or any other machine work, right???

Impressive for the $$$ spent, or should I say not spent?! ;)

Just dont try doing this with a LBZ crank :hug:

RKTMech

Idiot with a wrench
Aug 18, 2008
The Norco's
Also remember those are the factory bearings with 2 race seasons ( 1 @ 700 hp and next at 1k plus ) and have 70k miles on the also . I'll let you know on the cam plate .

Wow! looks great, were both race seasons done with twins?? Thanks for the share!