EFI Live Gasser question...

pepperidge

Member Club 12
Jan 12, 2007
Slidell, La
I purchased an ECM from NoWait4me (Jesse) for my wifes Tahoe Z71...It's supposed to be for mileage and mild performance increase...this thing won't get out the way of it's own shadow...

the recommendation was to install the ECM and do a crank position relearn...

Would it be safe to not do this and just install it and run it?

only reason I ask is because I know you can have Tony at ridgerunner or someone load a tune on your Duramax ECM and just plug and play right?

Is it different for gassers?

I've been looking for someone local to do this and it seems near impossible to find someone...

Would I be taking a huge risk by not having the relearn done?

Thanks,

Pepp

Cobra#3747

Jan 2, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
crankshaft learn not being done will trip a check engine light. Also may have a problem with missfire codes.

if I remember right, it uses the learn procedure to know where TDC on #1 cylinder is also.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
IIRC... It's been along time.

The PCM stores the minor variation between the theoritical crank position and the "actual" position during a "relearn". EFILive can do it, as can a Tech2. You intiate the crank relearn using the tool, then rev it up to 3000? RPM for a few seconds. That's it. I believe the newer ECM's do it automatically.

If there is nothing screwy with your engine, and the CEL does not come on, you are usually fine. The engine will adjust itself.

Attached is a Mitchell manual description of it.

Go to www.LS1Tech.COM and do a search on Crankshaft Relearn, and you will probably get 1000 hits.

Attachments

• relearn.pdf
    29.8 KB · Views: 1

pepperidge

Member Club 12
Jan 12, 2007
Slidell, La
IIRC... It's been along time.

The PCM stores the minor variation between the theoritical crank position and the "actual" position during a "relearn". EFILive can do it, as can a Tech2. You intiate the crank relearn using the tool, then rev it up to 3000? RPM for a few seconds. That's it. I believe the newer ECM's do it automatically.

If there is nothing screwy with your engine, and the CEL does not come on, you are usually fine. The engine will adjust itself.

Attached is a Mitchell manual description of it.

Go to www.LS1Tech.COM and do a search on Crankshaft Relearn, and you will probably get 1000 hits.

thanks again Pat!