efi hardware question..

bostonlly

Dec 23, 2023
ma
Hi to all on this forum, im new here and have been trying to learn as much as i can about tuning my own truck which is an LLY. I have efi live downloaded looked at tunerdepo for a flash scanner. $799! is that the best deal or does anyone have a suggestion on where to buy? thanks!! also dsp5 switch thanks

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Are you looking for a V2 or V3? And why no reach out to the vendors here to see what they can do for you?

Last edited:

bostonlly

Dec 23, 2023
ma
Are you looking for a V2 or V3? And why no reach out to the vendors here to see what they can do for you?
hi either would work. if its worth going v3 then id take that advice into consideration. i dont mind spending the money i mind wasting it if its a lot cheaper elsewhere. im going to be constantly changing my tunes up. ive had three tuned trucks by now and im not interested in the set it and forget it. id like to help my friends out as well. thanks

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I'm in the same boat. I'll probably never pay someone for a tune I can do myself. I tweak and adjust too much to farm it out

If you only want to do GM/Chevy trucks the V2 is fine. If your buddies drive any Rams then you want a V3

bostonlly

Dec 23, 2023
ma
I'm in the same boat. I'll probably never pay someone for a tune I can do myself. I tweak and adjust too much to farm it out

If you only want to do GM/Chevy trucks the V2 is fine. If your buddies drive any Rams then you want a V3
gm only here! v2 it is good info ty!

bostonlly

Dec 23, 2023
ma
if i got a v2 or 3 with loaded tunes to my vin would i have to buy a vin license to manipulate the files?

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
V2/3 either licenses tunes to an autocal which is locked to the controller (not vin) or you can purchase a license for tuning directly with the V2/3 to a controller. One license is good for one ECM and one TCM.

So if you purchase a bare V2 then you purchase a license and link it to your vehicle. Then you can purchase extra licenses to link with each of your buddies vehicles

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
If you have EFI downloaded without buying the tuning license then you have the "trial" version that won't let you edit tune files. To do that you need to purchase the tuning license. The $800 you saw is probably the Flashscan V2 with the tuning license, which also comes with 2 vin licenses.

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
V2/3 either licenses tunes to an autocal which is locked to the controller (not vin) or you can purchase a license for tuning directly with the V2/3 to a controller. One license is good for one ECM and one TCM.

So if you purchase a bare V2 then you purchase a license and link it to your vehicle. Then you can purchase extra licenses to link with each of your buddies vehicles
No on the TCM... TCMs are not licensed anymore.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
A few years back they changed it for the TCM. They announced it in the the June 10, 2020 beta release But there were alot of minor bugs and subsequent updates after that.

Edit: Copied from there web page regarding TCM Licenses
Transmission Licensing EFILive Support - 2020-09-11 - Comments (0) -
FlashScan V2 Licensing Flashing a TCM does not require an available VIN License for customers running V8.3.1 software or later with the following firmware versions: FlashScan/AutoCal V3 - firmware V3.00.044 (or later) FlashScan/AutoCal V2 - firmware V2.07.163 (or later) To access free TCM Licensing, ensure you have downloaded and installed the latest version of EFILive's V8 software, available here.

Also New V2's are discontinued. So you can only buy a New V3 now. I rarely see a used v2 for sale anymore.

They also stopped selling the stream licenses with the introduction of the V3. Existing ones can be transferred to a V3 though. All license Transfers have to be sent back to New Zealand for processing.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2004LB7

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
$400 sounds good to me. Picked up mine used for $500 about 5 or 6 years ago. One unused TCM license on it

bostonlly

Dec 23, 2023
ma
Thanks for all the replies. I’m learning kory Willis is the way for a deleted lly. Do they still sell tunes to my mod specs? Then can I later manipulate the tunes as I learn? Suggestions on where to purchase appropriated. Thanks!

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
I'm not sure what Kory is selling since his dealings with the EPA, but I'm 110% sure his tune file will be locked from further modifications by the end user. Best to just get a decent file from the library here and learn yourself

Reactions: 2004LB7