LB7: efi flashing issue

dirty_max

Jan 27, 2013
eureka il
so ive been fighting an issue with trying to flash my 01 lb7 ecm. I have not been able to pull the calibration out of it because it says it is locked and bootloader is rejected. so I thought maybe it just had a tune on it and that I could flash over it. so I got a 6006 os and did a test full flash on it and it tells me the ecm is locked. I just want to make sure there is nothing i am missing or anything that i can do before i buy another ecm. any help is appreciated.

dirty_max

Jan 27, 2013
eureka il
ok ill give it a try. I did read on here that if the 01 was flashed with a v2 at some point and them a tech2 that it would be worthless anyways? or maybe that was just when a different os was flashed in.

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
Using V2 or autocal? What error code did you get when trying to flash? I had a very similar issue when using a autocal, things are garbage when trying to flash.

Lb7's are very querky when trying to flash, the best thing you can possibly do is do a pass through from laptop through your device to your ecm, from what I've been told. I got a good shop to do mine and It worked like a charm after fighting flashing errors for a week or two.

Last edited:

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
Using V2 or autocal? What error code did you get when trying to flash? I had a very similar issue when using a autocal, things are garbage when trying to flash.

Lb7's are very querky when trying to flash, the best thing you can possibly do is do a pass through from laptop through your device to your ecm, From what I've been told. I got a good shop to do mine and It worked like a charm after fighting flashing errors for a week or two.

I've flashed LB7's and LLY's literally 100's of times and never had an issue that couldn't be resolved. Your just going off something you read or heard once again. He wouldn't be able to load a tune to an Autocal if he didn't have a V2 to lock it too first or a tuner he bought it from that emailed it too him that locked it to his V2. If a tune is saved for loading on an Autocal it has to has a V2 connected to the laptop first and then saved for remote flashing. I don't know how many I have tuned that I stop and flash along side of the road with no issues at all. so for you to say they are Qwerky is a BS statement.

Last edited:

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
Not as bad as lillys!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I have been very fortunate with mine. And I can only imagine how many times I have flashed mine. but yes they are the black sheep of the bunch when it comes to that, But I did have one that I thought was locked but ended up taking it the 3rd try.

Last edited:

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
ok ill give it a try. I did read on here that if the 01 was flashed with a v2 at some point and them a tech2 that it would be worthless anyways? or maybe that was just when a different os was flashed in.

Also take a fuse out under the hood for your radio. Sometimes that can be the issue if you have an aftermarket stereo. usually an LLY problem but worth a shot. does it even begin to flash or does it just try and then kick you out?

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
I've flashed LB7's and LLY's literally 100's of times and never had an issue that couldn't be resolved. Your just going off something you read or heard once again. He wouldn't be able to load a tune to an Autocal if he didn't have a V2 to lock it too first or a tuner he bought it from that emailed it too him that locked it to his V2. If a tune is saved for loading on an Autocal it has to has a V2 connected to the laptop first and then saved for remote flashing. I don't know how many I have tuned that I stop and flash along side of the road with no issues at all. so for you to say they are Qwerky is a BS statement.

I dont know whay your problem is but quit being a douche and attacking me everytime i post. I had a hell of a time flashing mine, no matter how I flashed it, it would always throw an error code. I took it to copperhead diesel in phx. . He flashed it from his laptop through my autocal to my ecm and ot worked fine. Sean is very good at what he does and is a reputable guy, hes a vendor for ATP. So no I didn't just "hear something somewhere" and claim it as fact. I've heard lots of guys having trouble flashing lb7 and lly trucks so no I didn't make that up either.

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
NM if I see you have entered a thread and mucked it up I'll see my way out the door on that one lol.

Last edited:

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Take it to a dealer and see if they can flash it back to stock first. should be cheaper then an ECM.
Taking an 01 to the dealer to be flashed is a good way TO mess up the bootloader. I'm pretty sure there is even a warning in the EFILIVE tutorial about not having 01's flashed by GM after you flash it with a V2, if you do, you're pretty much guaranteed to have a messed up/blank bootloader section. 01's are an animal all there own, and rather troublesome sometimes.

Stancedlb7

Cummin Stroke this Duramax
Feb 9, 2015
SLC, UTAH
I'm interested in seeing if the dealer will cause further issues or resolve it. Because I'm having the same issue.

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
I just did one that came in with a dsp5 tune in it that worked with the CTS. I flashed in the "6006" Os with my tuning for the injectors and the CTS would power up and say a PID was not recognized and it would shut down. so I modded the DSP5 OS it came in with and fashed it in and it worked fine with the CTS. the exact tune "6006 I flashed into an 01 two weeks earlier worked fine with the CTS with the DSP5 os. odd one there. and the first one had been flashed with a V2 (by Me) before the dealer said they flashed it and it is working fine still to this day. the starnge thing with that one was that it had had an edge juice on it for years and when I scanned it to see why it wasn't running right the baro sensor was reading 3.4 and should read 14.4 around here which was throwing the MAP sensor off. as soon as I flashed a clean stock OS in it fixed that baro sensor reading. real head scratcher there. anyone ever seen that?

Last edited:

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
Yep. Mines also throwing off the baro. Giving me the same message as OP.

Oh really? what does yours read and what does it do if you disconnect the sensor? let me know an I will send you the tune I flashed in to this customers that fixed it. this was a head scratcher for me nd glad I figured it out. even tried a different ecm with his tune in it and it still threw the baro sensor off and then once I flashed that tune in it was all fixed.

dirty_max

Jan 27, 2013
eureka il
yea I cant get anywhere with it as far as flashing or reading calibration. it always tells me bootloader rejected, controller has returned to normal operation. or ecm is locked. ill try and write the messages down, im bad at remembering things. but I did pull radio and amp fuse, and made sure door was closed, tried alt keys and turning off high speed. I actually didn't try to flash it I just did the test before trying the actual flash and that would never get anywhere. and im not using an autocal, im using my v2. there was something that I was able to click on to get info like vin, os and a bunch of other stuff but the vin didn't show up all that was there was (. there was no jibberish or anything though.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
will any year lb7 ecm work if I have to get another one?
Yes, so long as you don't make the mistake of flashing an 01 OS into an 02-04 ECM. If you have an 01 ECM and go to an 02+ OS, DO NOT go back to an 01 OS or else it WILL corrupt the section of the ECM that controls the change engine oil message, and it will always say change engine oil afterwards. Also if you have an 02-04 ECM, and flash it back to an 01 OS, it will also corrupt the change engine oil message as I know somebody with an 02 that found this one out. 01's are sortt of an odd duck from GM.