EFI Chamber pressure

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
Since the hard core tuners seem to be here.....

I have on my bench a simple circuit to interface the chamber pressure sensor I have to EFI giving an indication of Max chamber pressure.

The question is: Should I put a visual display (gauge) on this thing or just leave it as an EFI interface? Ballpark price as an interface with sensor is ~$800. Gauge would bump it to ~$900. Most of that cost is the sensor.

Suggestions? Comments?

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
a couple pictures

Just to give yo a size reference:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:

Tired Old Man

Aug 15, 2007
Where ever the wind blows
Since the hard core tuners seem to be here.....

I have on my bench a simple circuit to interface the chamber pressure sensor I have to EFI giving an indication of Max chamber pressure.

The question is: Should I put a visual display (gauge) on this thing or just leave it as an EFI interface? Ballpark price as an interface with sensor is ~$800. Gauge would bump it to ~$900. Most of that cost is the sensor.

Suggestions? Comments?

Are you saying that w/gauge it would be stand alone system?

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
With the gauge, it could be dash mounted and visible all the time. Both versions interface into EFI.

As is, it is a sub component of the Tuner's Rig I am developing. The gauge would be an add on and require some more development. If I do go with a gauge for this, I will include the gauge on the Tuner's Rig too so the circuit will be identical for both products.

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
This sensor and/or gauge just tells you max PSI? It doesn't say when it happened? Is it always "monitoring" or do you hit a "start" button of sorts???

C-ya

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
Alway on. (as long as there is power to it). No timing information. That takes a bit more tinkering and $$.

Tuner's Rig (different product) tells all, but only limited interfacing with EFI at this time. I really need to talk to Ross and the boys in NZ about a software hook. ;)

kodiak

Sep 25, 2007
I don't know about everybody else....But I would just be happy to know, what tuning aspects are detrimental to our motors. For example..."X" amount of boost and/or timing, will destroy your pistons with too much chamber pressure.

Do we know what the tolerances are yet??? And will this device tell us??? THATS what I want to know.

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
Just like EGTs, how much is too much pressure will be learned through the cumulative experience of the enthusiast at large.

kodiak

Sep 25, 2007
I am anxiously awaiting testing information. While I am not in the same league as you guys are, I always try to see what it is you guys are up to.

With all the cracked pistons, and pushed head gaskets....I must admit that I am concerned if I may be running a tune that is going to frag my motor. Do you have any idea as to what may be too much timing or pulse width yet...or are we still in the testing phase??

vortecfcar

No longer a member
Jun 28, 2007
I would say we're still in the testing phase...

I'll be hitting the dyno May 27th and 28th to do some data gathering.

We won't know the limits until stuff breaks. I've been trying to gather data on failures, but without logs and concise data, it's not exactly science. Someone needs to crack a piston with one of these rigs in operation.

.... there, I said it. :eek:

Nick

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
You were well on your way with that big timing tune Nick. What's an engine compared to the advancement of knowledge!?
:D:D

Right now is a good time for a link to that big timing graph you have with 3200 PSI?

Trippin

SoCal Diesel
Aug 10, 2006
I for one want to record the data for analysis.

So a gauge doesn't really appeal to me. But some may want it for the "cool" factor.

Guy

duramaximizer

#1 Abuse Enabler ;)
May 4, 2008
Edgerton, Ohio
I am interested in logging ability more than the guage. We have plunty of guages to fill different spots, but guages are cool but not a must. Logging is a must. Too bad we can't do all 8 cylinders and watch a motor go boom. The chances of cracking a piston while logging is 1/8, and that is dependent of the frequency of the logger. So I hope if someone is going to be unlucky, I hope they are lucky in the sense of information.

Did that make any sence. :confused: Good Night.

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
I can support 8 cylinders, but that would quickly get you into over $6000. Besides, barring you having one "very hot" cylinder, they will all be about the same pressure.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
So, would this record real time information like any other PID in EFI does? You could watch cylinder pressure in relation to timing, boost, pulse time, RPM, etc?