Eek! What is this in my oil?

jeeperaz

Apr 9, 2015
Just changed my oil and found some small bits in the bottom of the oil drain pan(see pic). The larger piece is barely magnetic, the other pieces do not seem to be so. How f'ed am I?

'06 stock truck with only 77K miles on it. Last oil change was 1 year and 2k miles ago.

Truck is primarily used to tow a toy hauler and last time I went to tow, I had to stop just a few miles down the road to make sure I was properly connected. When I got out I noticed a strong exhaust smell and a bit of white smoke. Smoke went away and exhaust looks normal in neutral. I don't see any smoke when not towing.

Other than that, no noticeable issues other than I have poor MPG. 12-13 around town if I baby it... really, like old lady style of driving.

Going to send off an oil sample to a lab and also open/inspect filter.

There was about two to three times the amount shown in the oil drain pan. In the pic is the largest piece. most of the rest was small pieces like what was shown.

I bet there is more bits in the oil pan. I have a fumato drain valve installed and I imagine there might be some larger pieces in the drain pan that couldnt get past the fumato's small diameter opening.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• photo_2021-05-03_16-00-50.jpg
    photo_2021-05-03_16-00-50.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 82

jeeperaz

Apr 9, 2015
Road debris in the Fumoto valve?

It looks like sand, doesnt it?

The fumato I own has a very shallow outlet. I feel like there was more bits & pieces in my drain pan than what likely would have been packed up in the valve. I hope I'm wrong.

jeeperaz

Apr 9, 2015
Trust me... I've been trying to convince myself thats all it is but I have my doubts. I'll know more when I open up the filter.

Inspected the filter. Nothing glaring in there. Oil sample being sent tomorrow for analysis.

jeeperaz

Apr 9, 2015
I've owned this truck since new. I've done every oil change myself. Also, I've changed the oil in every other vehicle I've owned since the 90's. I have never seen anything like this in the drain pan. I'm not saying it's impossible.... just very unlikely.

Still waiting on oil analysis. I'll share the results when it comes.

Mikey52

Sep 20, 2018
My 85 6.2 suburban had a little transmission problem going on, so I decided to change fluid and filter. It had about 1/2 inch of sand in the pan and filter was clogged. Come to find out the dipstick tube was not seated in the transmission. And with living near a beach the sand just kept blowing in there.

jeeperaz

Apr 9, 2015
oil analysis came back excellent. I'm going to pretend I didnt see anything after changing the oil..... I'll drain it again in a few months and make sure I start with a clean drain pan.

jlawles2

Jan 28, 2010
Danbury, TX
Looking at those particles, it almost looks like your funnel was contaminated during one of your oil changes. I might be a bit protective, but I towel wipe out my funnel before and after use.