eBay HID Driving Lights FTW

fish

Polish Mafia
Staff member
Jul 26, 2012
Peoria, AZ
I bought a set off of eBay in the beginning of March. Three months later my right passenger ballast goes out half way through our Crown King night run. I maybe had 12 hours on them.

I sent the merchant an e-mail, turns out they only provide a 60 day warranty... How convenient.

Another China made pile of $hit product for the win.

If you're hell bent on buying HID lights, I'd suggest going through Amazon, because they don't have a warranty policy defined on their page(yet), so you'll have better luck with the claims/chargeback process when your HID light dies on you.

The merchant to avoid is KarPartStore on eBay.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
I spent the coin on retro solutions because I wanted a REAL warranty from a company that has been around for awhile. Yes they were a lot more money than the Ebay specials, but they work awesome with no radio static like my cheapies did.

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
DDMs here as well...

Side gripe though... I've got to figure something out on the high beams. The HIDs are entirely too slow to heat up and produce heat when switching back and forth from dim to high. I've either got to do the "all-on" wiring so at least one set is always hot and fully lit while switching to high or go back to a conventional bulb in the highs so they light up quicker.

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
Been running DDM kits for 6 maybe even 7 years, they seem to be hit and miss, but if they work out of the box they work forever(i have only had one ballast fail due to age, but think it was more due to cycling on and off too much)I have a 55w set in our subie, installed them in 08', drove the car tonight and enjoyed the super bright light once again, 5 years and 80k miles later.

I suggest buying two kits, in two different color temps, for two reasons 1) you can see just which color you like on the rig and on the road 2) sometimes a ballast will be defective out of the box. DDM is great about warranteeing their product, I have had several I have had to return with no hassle, just sucks to wait is all, so just in case, it's nice to have two sets coming, at something like $40 a set, it's worth it, hell, a set of PIAA bulbs are twice that(about 80) last 1/6 as long and are 1/2 as bright, even the nighthawk halogen bulbs are more expensive at like $50 a set, and they look like candle power next to a set of DDM 35w H.I.D

Right now between our three rigs and a buddies rig, my parents rig and a neighbor, I have installed 9 sets

On the duramax I have the all on mod done, I have a set of 3000k 35w in the fogs, 4500k 35w for the lo beams and 4500k 55w in the high beams and it is completely insanely bright:D next I want to put a 36" L.E.D light bar behind the grille

:thumb:

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
My first HID purchase were ebay cheapos. The bulb ended up shorting out and the wiring caught fire! Melted my fog lamp housing. DDM's in both my vehicles now with now complaints. However once I do projectors in the Dmax I'm switching HID kits and am going to try the set offered through theretrofitsource.com

fish

Polish Mafia
Staff member
Jul 26, 2012
Peoria, AZ
Well, should have listened to James.. The DDM pile of sh*t came in, plugged it, neither one of them fired up.