Dynamite oval pattern injectors

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
I am cautiously optimistic. I was never happy with the injectors that are in it now, but ran out of give a $hit..

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Let me know how you like them. I've had a set in a customers truck for a little bit now and been pretty happy with them thus far.

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
Decision Point:

I've managed to get all the stuck bolts and such out except this one on the driver's side manifold. I've been massaging it for a week, but today I met failure. I will now have to pull the motor...... Damn. There just isn't enough room for my fat hands to work on this side. All this to change out the injectors......but the work needed to be done I guess.

20230716_190743.jpg20230716_190840.jpg20230716_192215.jpg20230716_193708.jpg20230716_194424.jpg

Reactions: 1TRIKHD and 2004LB7

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
Decision Point:

I've managed to get all the stuck bolts and such out except this one on the driver's side manifold. I've been massaging it for a week, but today I met failure. I will now have to pull the motor...... Damn. There just isn't enough room for my fat hands to work on this side. All this to change out the injectors......but the work needed to be done I guess.

View attachment 116453View attachment 116454View attachment 116455View attachment 116456View attachment 116457

Are you in PA still?If so, I'll stop and help you get the manifold off tomorrow on my way home without pulling the motor, unless you WANT to pull the motor...then I'll help with that too. I'm heading home from WV

Reactions: 1TRIKHD

jlawles2

Jan 28, 2010
Danbury, TX
You might need to weld 2 or 3 nuts on there to drive the heat down inside that stuck fastener to try and break it loose. Another thing you can try is heating the outer edge of the flange quickly in an effort to open the hole up some.

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
Are you in PA still?If so, I'll stop and help you get the manifold off tomorrow on my way home without pulling the motor, unless you WANT to pull the motor...then I'll help with that too. I'm heading home from WV
I'm still in White Oak, PA.

Motor is coming out. Too much needs massaged. Should have done it in the first place. Now I have to get engine crane, stand and what not pulled out of the clutter to do the pull. Oh, and look, there is a dmax short block (not oval bowl) on the stand now.. Gotta move that too.

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
You might need to weld 2 or 3 nuts on there to drive the heat down inside that stuck fastener to try and break it loose. Another thing you can try is heating the outer edge of the flange quickly in an effort to open the hole up some.
Bolt protrudes out the back of the flange and is rotted. Bad. Used the bore-scope to look since you can't see it any other way. I actually got it to turn 1/4 turn befire it locked up hard,

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
I'm sure that these guys can write volumes about these trucks that I don't know, but allow me to offer one bit of BTDT advice - when you pull it out and attempt to remove the rest of that bolt, keep at it with the welder and the nut idea. Get the heat to penetrate fully and when slightly cooled, hit it with an impact. Do not try to drill it out. I tried to drill out an ugly MF'er in the same place after pulling the manifold, and even in a vice in a drill press that bit wanted to walk all over. It was like the bolt was cast with pockets of hardened material inside that made the bit want to walk, even after it was centered up and started. I had to go back to welding and with patience it came out.

jlawles2

Jan 28, 2010
Danbury, TX
Reverse the idea and weld the nut on the back side see if it will come out that way.

I think I have a driver side manifold in the barn off one of my trucks. Would have to look and see.

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
These are ProFab Castflow manifolds. I'll make a precision drill guide, bolt it to the flange, and drill out the offending bold. Worst case, I'll put the manifold on the mill.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Any reason they aren't assembled with just a nut on the backside? When taking it apart, if you snap one it just falls apart rather then get stuck. Another bolt and nut and your back in business

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
There are a number of reasons.

One is access to the back side. Especially on the driver's side, there is no room to get to the back.
Second was an obvious intent to use the OEM gaskets. Which places this hole against the body of the manifold in the back.
Lastly, no one anticipates rusted and or damaged fasteners. I got 11 out of 12 out without issue. I am sure it will be a long time to never before I touch these again. Already been 14 or more years.

Really though, I should have pulled the motor in the first place. It isn't that big of a deal. Hell, I would be done by now.

Reactions: 2004LB7