Duramax swapped Trailblazer SS...you might say why?...I say why not.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
How so....Im not against the 4l85, but its a harder piece to find really than a typical allison, and I wanted a trans that I couldnt break. This one should be nearly indestructible in a sub 5K pound brick built to a level 5 basically with a lot of converter. I just started out with a Dmax/Allison combo in my head, and the more people told me it wouldnt work or fit, the more I wanted to prove them wrong....and here we are today, fits almost perfect with minimal to no modification. Were gonna use all the Dmax electronics and marry it to the TBSS fuse block and harness so that it works just like it was there from the factory, gauges and all. :woott:

Well that is assuming you got shafts that were heat treated properly. If they weren't, you will know! Lol sweet project btw!

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
How so....Im not against the 4l85, but its a harder piece to find really than a typical allison, and I wanted a trans that I couldnt break. This one should be nearly indestructible in a sub 5K pound brick built to a level 5 basically with a lot of converter. I just started out with a Dmax/Allison combo in my head, and the more people told me it wouldnt work or fit, the more I wanted to prove them wrong....and here we are today, fits almost perfect with minimal to no modification. Were gonna use all the Dmax electronics and marry it to the TBSS fuse block and harness so that it works just like it was there from the factory, gauges and all. :woott:

GM put a LBZ/4L85 in their 2500/3500 vans(06 newer) and newer years swapped to a 6L80-90 with a 250hp version "basically detuned of what was in the trucks.

There's a member here (Joshua harris) runs a 3500 express Van with a LBZ/4l85 into the 10s in 1/4 mile.
http://www.trucktrend.com/features/1504-2005-chevy-express-cargo-van-the-dumpster/
He has a build thread on here as well
I swapped a LBZ/4L85 into this, then bumped hp from 250 to ~300ish.. and towed 17-18,000lb trailer for some 170,000 mile before it got wrecked/totalled only issues I have was the 16 element sprag gave out and TCC piston broke swapped billet TCC in and a 34 element sprag in and replaced collateral damaged stuff
464315_3283353876263_1079655094_o.jpg

Currently have a 01 2500 suburban 6.0/4L85 that I'd like to swap a LBZ into and run about 450hp

Last edited:

MattKatz

Custom Junkie
May 27, 2014
Dayton, Ohio
www.facebook.com
Well that is assuming you got shafts that were heat treated properly. If they weren't, you will know! Lol sweet project btw!
If it breaks....Itll just be time for more upgrades. :D

And This thing will be making 6-700 and god knows how much Tq....I didn't want to risk that with any 4L Trans....6L just would have been even more difficult with the older LB7 PCM IMO....and they aren't known to be a powerhouse trans either, so my choice was based on some of this info. If I were to switch to a different trans, it prob would be the 85 for sure.

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
Unless you're running slicks all the time...the problem with being light.... Is lack of traction especially with treaded tires..
6-700hp is 12-1400tq roughly..
275? wide tires will be smoke on a big down shift

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
The pics are all sized at 1024pixels for uniformity....I could have left them at the 3K they were taken at? And theres a lot because I put it all in one post to start with...which now is pointless because the typing doesnt match up with the pics I had and Im not redoing it if I cant edit a pic. And ADMINS can see orginal posts, so if someone is being a JAckass, its easy to show it on VB...Or it was in the past. so not allowing editing only hurts really more so than help. Theres always an ass out there.
BTW....How are you repairing the links...so I know how to make them not disappear if I post new ones? TIA

And Booster...do you think Im leaving it like that...lmao....C'mon man.
We did that so we could get the motor in and still move the truck around with brakes without cracking the system open. It is getting a hydroboost setup and will bolt right up, we already looked into it before we started the project. Now, the accumulator might be a tight squeeze, and Im hoping it clears the VC....Or I might end up with a custom VC too because that would be easier than moving or modifying the HyBoost setup.

I should have said, "Im replacing the pictures using the
insertimage.gif
icon as I have time to do it." In other words, trying to help you. I can stop if you like. And yes, they are pretty big pics.
Obviously the issue came from how you originally linked the pics here, or from the hosting site you chose to use. Its up to you to change that, not DD. The Admins are blameless for this.

As for editing, thats how it is. Adapt to it. All the rest of us had to.

As for the hydroboost, I thought it a legitimate question. You were explaining that all you cut "was going to work out", so I assumed you were somehow going to weld in an indent into the booster and use that, and it didnt make any sense to me. You never fleshed out adapting the hb into the system. On this site, we ask questions when something doesnt make sense, b/c most of us have a pretty good idea what will work and what wont. ;)

Last edited:

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
If it breaks....Itll just be time for more upgrades. :D

And This thing will be making 6-700 and god knows how much Tq....I didn't want to risk that with any 4L Trans....6L just would have been even more difficult with the older LB7 PCM IMO....and they aren't known to be a powerhouse trans either, so my choice was based on some of this info. If I were to switch to a different trans, it prob would be the 85 for sure.

Oh for sure. It just goes beyond that 5k mark you were talking about. More than likely they will hold up just fine. I have stock shafts in mine and push 600 daily and 800hp every so often. Keeping the trans shifting as smooth as stock is the biggest key.

One thing to think about with the 4l85 over the Allison is how quick it will shift vs the Allison. The 4l will out shift it all day long. I don't know how drag race oriented you are making it so it may not be a concern for ya. Just food for thought :D

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Pics should all be back where they belong. Amazon gave me the "you may not upload any more images unless you are an Amazon member" message just as I did the last one. Whew, dodged a bullet there. :rofl: If you see one out of order within its explanation, let me know. BTW, if there's any future problem just ask for help, dont accuse.

Last edited:

MattKatz

Custom Junkie
May 27, 2014
Dayton, Ohio
www.facebook.com
insertimage.gif
icon as I have time to do it." In other words, trying to help you. I can stop if you like. And yes, they are pretty big pics.
Obviously the issue came from how you originally linked the pics here, or from the hosting site you chose to use. Its up to you to change that, not DD. The Admins are blameless for this.

As for editing, thats how it is. Adapt to it. All the rest of us had to.

As for the hydroboost, I thought it a legitimate question. You were explaining that all you cut "was going to work out", so I assumed you were somehow going to weld in an indent into the booster and use that, and it didnt make any sense to me. You never fleshed out adapting the hb into the system. On this site, we ask questions when something doesnt make sense, b/c most of us have a pretty good idea what will work and what wont. ;)
Just a heads up....I put the pics in the same way you just showed...Its the same way I have posted images on VB forums for nearly 15 years...no clue why they fell off here. Just saying, I have been using the manual "[img ][/img ] for EvAr. Thanks for fixing them, but lets see if they stay this time too. As far as adapting, Its your world Im just visiting...but if I could have edited the post myself, we wouldn't even be having this conversation and you wouldn't have done any extra work....Not saying, but JS.

As far as the booster, you really couldn't make a vacuum booster work on a diesel anyway efficiently, since they don't create vacuum like a gas motor does. I haven't given all the details on the build, just what I have posted so far. I'm about 12 steps ahead of whats posted yet still 8 steps behind what I had planned out in my head as I hit changes/hurdles/roadblocks like I did tonight.

Tonight I got the factory Kodiak style manifold cut off to start fitting exhaust piping, only to realize....I forgot all about a PS pump directly in my way and an AC compressor I really hate the location of. Is there any alternate mounting setups for full accessories on a duramax or am I going to have to make my own bracketry if I want to relocate the AC and PS Pump? Then I put the radiator in and the fans and they took up a LOT more room than I planned. I wanted to bring the cold side piping right up the middle to the intake, but I might have to come at it off to the side and angle up and over unless I can figure out a few things to move stuff around easily. Even the W/P outlet is in the way, so I am considering blocking off the WP hole and putting a big electric remote mounted unit on it to help with some space. I am likely gonna have to ax that dam head coolant crossover and redo or make a custom T-Stat housing as well. These are thngs I had thought about but hoped I could stay away from. I guess things like this always happen on major projects....Be nice if for once everything fit like a glove....But if it were easy, everyone would do it right.

TOmorrow a new day....I'll see what I can find tonight to move forward tomorrow. :cool:

MattKatz

Custom Junkie
May 27, 2014
Dayton, Ohio
www.facebook.com
Pics should all be back where they belong. Amazon gave me the "you may not upload any more images unless you are an Amazon member" message just as I did the last one. Whew, dodged a bullet there. :rofl: If you see one out of order within its explanation, let me know. BTW, if there's any future problem just ask for help, dont accuse.
Thanks.....Wasnt meaning to be accusation'al? Its all gravy baby. :hug:

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Just a heads up....I put the pics in the same way you just showed...Its the same way I have posted images on VB forums for nearly 15 years...no clue why they fell off here. Just saying, I have been using the manual "[img ][/img ] for EvAr. Thanks for fixing them, but lets see if they stay this time too. As far as adapting, Its your world Im just visiting...but if I could have edited the post myself, we wouldn't even be having this conversation and you wouldn't have done any extra work....Not saying, but JS.

As far as the booster, you really couldn't make a vacuum booster work on a diesel anyway efficiently, since they don't create vacuum like a gas motor does. I haven't given all the details on the build, just what I have posted so far. I'm about 12 steps ahead of whats posted yet still 8 steps behind what I had planned out in my head as I hit changes/hurdles/roadblocks like I did tonight.

Tonight I got the factory Kodiak style manifold cut off to start fitting exhaust piping, only to realize....I forgot all about a PS pump directly in my way and an AC compressor I really hate the location of. Is there any alternate mounting setups for full accessories on a duramax or am I going to have to make my own bracketry if I want to relocate the AC and PS Pump? Then I put the radiator in and the fans and they took up a LOT more room than I planned. I wanted to bring the cold side piping right up the middle to the intake, but I might have to come at it off to the side and angle up and over unless I can figure out a few things to move stuff around easily. Even the W/P outlet is in the way, so I am considering blocking off the WP hole and putting a big electric remote mounted unit on it to help with some space. I am likely gonna have to ax that dam head coolant crossover and redo or make a custom T-Stat housing as well. These are thngs I had thought about but hoped I could stay away from. I guess things like this always happen on major projects....Be nice if for once everything fit like a glove....But if it were easy, everyone would do it right.

TOmorrow a new day....I'll see what I can find tonight to move forward tomorrow. :cool:

they make vacuum pumps that will run the vacuum booster you have as well as other accessories. thats how diesel vehicles in the 80s and 90s could still have blend doors actuate properly for temp control in the cab.

there is no aftermarket acc brackets that will change up placement of what you are trying to do. it will have to be custom made

as for the electric water pump. do some seaching on here for Socal diesel posts on electric water pumps. they dont have the flow nor generate the pressure to keep steam bubbles at bay in the heads and you can create hot spots at the HP you want to go with. this in turn can crack the heads on a DD. Keep this in mind.

i take it you have 0 room to move the engine back? seems like it would solve alot of issues from what you are currently describing.

MattKatz

Custom Junkie
May 27, 2014
Dayton, Ohio
www.facebook.com
Yeah the engine placement is about as spot on as it will get. As far as pumps, If a Davies Craig doesnt move more water than an OEM pump...I would be very, very surprised. ALso, I am in a lighter vehicle with a lot of cooling so this should help. I think I am gonna have to take a low mount AC compressor off something else and make a mount for it on the lower passenger side. I think I can get around the PS Pump if I either cut and modify the outlet on a factory WP or block it off and just put an electric in. Im gonna go see what I got in my parts bins and see what I can fab up today.

MattKatz

Custom Junkie
May 27, 2014
Dayton, Ohio
www.facebook.com
insertimage.gif
and hey...look at your pics...gone again....so I guess its not just me huh. :joker: :angel:

Oct 16, 2008
Idaho
Yeah the engine placement is about as spot on as it will get. As far as pumps, If a Davies Craig doesnt move more water than an OEM pump...I would be very, very surprised. ALso, I am in a lighter vehicle with a lot of cooling so this should help. I think I am gonna have to take a low mount AC compressor off something else and make a mount for it on the lower passenger side. I think I can get around the PS Pump if I either cut and modify the outlet on a factory WP or block it off and just put an electric in. Im gonna go see what I got in my parts bins and see what I can fab up today.

I don't think Davies Craig makes a pump that moves more water. Not to say it won't work. I run the EWP115 on my Dmax street rod and it works fine but it's also open engine bay and not making as much power as you're planning on.

IIRC the factory Dmax water pump is rated at a stupid 80gpm but it's also at max rpm. Last I saw the biggest pump Davies Craig offered was around half that number. May or may not cause you cooling issues but it's food for thought.

MattKatz

Custom Junkie
May 27, 2014
Dayton, Ohio
www.facebook.com
I don't think Davies Craig makes a pump that moves more water. Not to say it won't work. I run the EWP115 on my Dmax street rod and it works fine but it's also open engine bay and not making as much power as you're planning on.

IIRC the factory Dmax water pump is rated at a stupid 80gpm but it's also at max rpm. Last I saw the biggest pump Davies Craig offered was around half that number. May or may not cause you cooling issues but it's food for thought.

YEah they only move like 55GPM MAx...so if a Dmax moves 80, its definately less....BUT....My outlet and inlets on the radiator are going to limit flow anyway due to the smaller sizes without me modifying them, which I probably will, but I'm not doing anything prematurely until I get it running and figure out what works and what doesnt and upgrade or modify from there. I might just buy a brand new WP and modify it so I can rest assured it should last a long time and I wont have to modify a second as soon as I get this thing running because it fails. This is slightly what I consider the JunkYard Dmax Swap here at this point.

MattKatz

Custom Junkie
May 27, 2014
Dayton, Ohio
www.facebook.com
Switch to a different, more reliable hosting service.

youd think amazon could host some pics huh....Like I said man its new for me, the place I used to use which was a small hosting site I have just maxed out so I was hoping since I paid for amazon, I wouldnt have to deal with ads and bloat....but damn if it dont work, it dont work. Its really odd that they link fine, work fine then go away after what I assume is 24hrs....Makes no sense for amazon to do that for people that want to host pics but eh....Ill either figure it out or find another service that works properly and easily. Im open to suggestions, but I wont pay to host and I hat Photobucket as its full of nonsense anymore...I wont even click on other peoples PB pics as its just soo bad to even view from there IMO.

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
I guess Amazon just wants you to use that service to "hold" the pics, not share them. When you do find another host, let me know and I'll help you repost them again.

So, where are you at on the TB now? Whats the plan for the suspension? Rear axle?