Duraburb/ durahoe?

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Does anyone here own a duramax suburban / tahoe?

How does a guy get ahold of duraburb inc?

I've always dreamed of building one for the wife. Since I sold my truck I picked up a super clean 04 Tahoe 1500. Now I'm thinking of building one for me. This tahoe runs and drives like a dream but has 200k on it. I got to thinking I have most of the bigger parts minus an engine. I've got a 05 allision sitting in the shop in good shape. I have a stock intercooler and pipes, headed tomorrow to pick up a harness off a truck before it gets hauled off for scrap. Pretty sure I have an lly engine harness and quite a few other parts..

What all Is needed im missing? I know transfer case from a dmax truck, the 4x4 switch since mine has auto. Do I need some other module from the truck to do away with auto 4x4?

I know I need ecm/ tcm. Core support. Body lift. Engine mounts like thunder550 built on his 1500. Dmax rad, fan, shroud. Trans cooler and lines.

Ac lines will be a pain I know because of rear air. But it can be done, because duraburb has done it.

What all am I missing? Should I throw the dmax swap out the window?

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Another big question is resale.. I'm assuming they bring good money done right? I don't keep a rig long. usually one to two years max. Would be nice to get my money back on it after I put 10-20k on it.

minerigger

Dec 24, 2013
Casper, WY
I feel like my wife may need a turbo on her burban one day.

As far as resale I would think if your building something like that you wouldn't want to spend the time and money to end up ditching it 2 yrs later

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I'll see if I can get my friend I have working with me to get on and answer your questions. He has helped his brother do both a Tahoe and a suburban, and they are currently working on an avalanche.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
I just went back and looked up Eric's old posts on their Dmax Tahoe, and all the pics are gone. :( Duraburb phone number: (407) 497-7031

There was a guy named "hwood" who referenced a company called CSK out in Cali who knows those things back-to-front, but I never found any other info on him.

chambersj

Dec 6, 2010
They're not that bad to do. If your doing a Tahoe basically just build the motor mount plates, Trans crossmember, need to gut the fuel pump and retain the sending unit. Best way to make both tanks work is to do a gravity feed off the rear tank to the front. The wiring is simple. There's one plug under the fuse box that you'll have to move some wires around and add some going back into the dash. I've only done lbzs. You should only need to run the wait to start wire since your doing an lly. The core support is straight forward. Just put it on there like the truck and lift the body up to match the core support. The 4x4 you'll need to change the switch and the tccm. If you need more in detail on wiring I'll do my best to help.

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
I feel like my wife may need a turbo on her burban one day.

As far as resale I would think if your building something like that you wouldn't want to spend the time and money to end up ditching it 2 yrs later

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I do it all the time lol.. But maybe one of these might be different

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
They're not that bad to do. If your doing a Tahoe basically just build the motor mount plates, Trans crossmember, need to gut the fuel pump and retain the sending unit. Best way to make both tanks work is to do a gravity feed off the rear tank to the front. The wiring is simple. There's one plug under the fuse box that you'll have to move some wires around and add some going back into the dash. I've only done lbzs. You should only need to run the wait to start wire since your doing an lly. The core support is straight forward. Just put it on there like the truck and lift the body up to match the core support. The 4x4 you'll need to change the switch and the tccm. If you need more in detail on wiring I'll do my best to help.

Oh yeah, this guy ^^^^ knows them inside and out, too. Forgot about you, chambers. :)

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013

Awesome thanks.

Dumb question.. Obviously you have to raise the body to clear the core support. Are people only putting the front pucks from a body lift (say 2") then stepping down "x" amount at each body mount ending up with the rear like factory? Basically putting the body on with a rake tword the rear? Or is the thing to do just install the full body lift and lower the suspension?

Is a body lift 100% required? Could one not cut the frame side mounts off and move them up? (Havnt looked to see if they are like the hd trucks and the stamped steel bracket welded to the frame)

Last edited:

chambersj

Dec 6, 2010
I think people do the body lift for simplicity. I've heard of people raking the body lift. Which that'd what were doing on this avalanche. The other 2 that we've done were both lifted so we just put the full body lift on.