Duck the MANN or throw in the towel?

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
After careful deliberation and discussion with a higher power (James, lol), this thread will be monitored by himself and his moderators to be sure that it does not become a bitch-session bashing of EPA/DEP/etc and/or politics and political bashing. Please participate with that in mind, and respect your Admin’s wishes.

My post:

I think that this should be a pretty opinionated and lively thread. Hopefully the three letter agency Nazi's lovers don't spaz.

I've had my truck since 2008 - new. Every year I made it a hobby to keep upgrading her, and that of course included the removal of the usual choke points. FFWD 14 years and I love this truck more than ever, but NJ would like to draw and quarter me or electrocute me in a Tesla. We have roadside checkpoints lately and plenty of people are becoming examples as private diesel trucks are the target. We've had some odd months here and there over the years where there's been some enforcement, but this is the worst and most aggressive and it is not getting better in the foreseeable future.

As much as it pains me to think - I might sell the old girl. (This is NOT a FS ad! I'm just discussing ideas) I'm sure that there must be others that are either in the same boat, or they have already jumped ship. If I decide to wait it out and continue to take steps to be careful with my exposure on the road, then I'll be happiest to keep her! If I decide to jump ship... then what?! As a community that loves the performance of these trucks, will be we happy with an L5P with everything intact and a tune? How bad is the reliability truly - not just the vocal minority(?) with DEF issues, etc.? Are the tranny's holding up to a tune (nothing yet for a stronger rebuild nor tuning AFAIK) Are performance hungry guys happier that found an old Lb7 and restored and upgraded one? a Gas truck is NOT an option for me :)

What are the general thoughts around here, especially from the BTDT crowd?

Reactions: MarkBroviak

Yngdmax92

Sep 26, 2013
I am from new york, i see more more of these same issues arising in our area as well. I have a lbz, and i plan to hold on to it for a while. James actually taught me not to go (to Far) with my truck as i watched his thread and learned from him. I cant say on his behalf if he was sick of working on his truck, but i learned from him that keeping things simply probably will do you some good.

I dont like the fact of owning a diesel and having to keep it stock either, or keep everything stock on it and just apply a intact tune. ITs simple to me, more fuel, more soot and nox to be cleaned out of the dpf. Although the new trucks are amazing at just about everything, until they come out with some aftermarket dpfs and so forth, i wont be jumping to one anytime soon. Especially with he price tag these new trucks are.

Be stealthy lol, thats what i recommend!

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
what would you have to put back on to make it "compliant" or not at risk of getting hassled?

when I purchased my truck I found it had the DPF deleted. shortly after they started with diesel smog checks and I was forced to find one and put it back on. with it back on it does seem slightly slower to spool but it doesn't seem too bad. luckily the LMM exhaust system is relatively simple compared to the newer.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
This is a rough one Wally. i can say i dont know that the grass is greener on the other side. you saw my post about looking for a ZF truck lol.

i like my 2020, i have no complaints about it as is. it tows awesome, you get in it and go, 445hp is pretty decent and feels quick for a 8200lbs truck. But to me, its souless because ive left it pretty much stock and thats just not sitting well with me. the old limo was alot of work, i loved that truck and still do but like young said, i learned where i should have stopped. still nothing for the 10 speed worth a damn. they seem to hold up to power but im 90% sure the ecm is pulling back power at the slightest slip. the upgraded e clutch randys and revmax sell isnt enough. the vb pressure mods from ratiotek are a great idea for stock power and will help a tuned one last a little longer but imho, the pressure mod will make a stock trucks transmission last the length of time it should. Mike fully agreed with me as well after testing, watching pressures and looking at data. weight loss trucks seem to have issues with tuning out smoke and ECM's locking up after tuning has been an issue. i dont think that is fully solved yet and the lead time to get a new ECM suuuucks.

im no longer going to go the moho route just due to "dont fix what aint broke" idea. i am still looking for a clean zf6 truck though. i want one i can mod and do stuff to and enjoy. if you have that truck and can figure out a way to keep it, id for sure do it. i have no regrets over doing what ive done, there is only one way to know! but thats why im looking at going back to an older truck. plus i reeeeeaaaalllllllllly want a manual. way way back before i put the first built trans in the limo, i was lining shit up to do a zf6 swap. im glad that never happened but now its time for one!

Reactions: SmokeShow and N2BRK

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
EGR/dpf/cat/ybridge/grid-heater would need to exit my attic and rejoin the truck. At that point, I might as well remove the larger injectors and the larger turbo, go back to an LMM uppipe, commit suicide…

I’ve decided that putting my truck back to compliance is not an option that I’m willing to do.

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
I hear ya, James. The soulless part is what gets me. I’m the past few years I’ve changed careers and do not drive nearly as much as I used to. If I had a stock boring truck and a beater fast truck, one would sit a lot. Ideally, I’d like one truck to do it all - which I have now! Lol.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
EGR/dpf/cat/ybridge/grid-heater would need to exit my attic and rejoin the truck. At that point, I might as well remove the larger injectors and the larger turbo, go back to an LMM uppipe, commit suicide…

I’ve decided that putting my truck back to compliance is not an option that I’m willing to do.
is the turbo "stock" appearing or is your engine all painted up?

depending on what your engine bay looks like you may just need the CAT and DPF

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
Stock appearing turbo, but dovetailing with James question, they have reference pages/pictures when they pop your hood. So the y-bridge and cold side pipe and the distinct lack of EGR will land me somewhere between a slap on the wrist, a $10k fine, or a tow away and fine. They also check underneath and there’s a snap accel test for soot. Those won’t go well either.

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
I live in the middle of nothing compared to you guys near the coasts. A lot of this bs is why I got out of the game a couple years ago. Also why I plan to keep my lbz and keep it stock appearing.

Also the diesel ricer crowd killed my vibe on trucks. Now I just want an old man truck.

Hell I wouldn’t mind finding a crew short stock exhaust for an lbz 😳

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Stock appearing turbo, but dovetailing with James question, they have reference pages/pictures when they pop your hood. So the y-bridge and cold side pipe and the distinct lack of EGR will land me somewhere between a slap on the wrist, a $10k fine, or a tow away and fine. They also check underneath and there’s a snap accel test for soot. Those won’t go well either.
is your turbo compatible with the stock Y bridge and cold pipe?

the snap test is quite easy to pass with good tuning even deleted. but you would still have to have the DPF so that shouldn't be an issue

Reactions: N2BRK

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
Absolutely fits with stock piping.

Sorry for the name change, but NJ has gone so far as to troll FB for sale add to find license plates and flag the reg!

Wally

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
well if I was in your shoes, I'd put all that back on leaving the turbo and stick as is and retune it for emissions. can still be a fun truck to drive even with that crap on it. mine is and I'm on stock everything except trans and tuning and diff gearing

Reactions: N2BRK

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Move down here to TX... lol My LBZ is my toy and I still have plans for twins some day. If l lived somewhere where I was truly worried. Not just rumors on FB. I would get out of diesels altogether and get a positive displacement supercharger on a gasser. Unless it was a daily tow pig. Then I would have a new stocker. I love my truck, but I'm over diesels.

SBLC

Here to Learn
Jun 12, 2008
Utah
Read the statute on how invasive these inspections can be and then derive a solution. It is interesting to look at the pictures being posted online of people trying to protect their precious kitty cats. Some people are using cables welded along the exhaust to shields being installed to prevent the cat from being removed. Wonder if you make it compliant and protect your expensive precious metals with some shields. Let the innovative collaboration and knowledge share of the “good old days” be resurrected. The thread about forcing regen before hauling hay was a good example of trying to be compliant while attempting to solve a problem. We need more of these educational experiences where we leverage our diverse backgrounds and experiences to keep these trucks operational and more importantly fun.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
I live in the middle of nothing compared to you guys near the coasts. A lot of this bs is why I got out of the game a couple years ago. Also why I plan to keep my lbz and keep it stock appearing.

Also the diesel ricer crowd killed my vibe on trucks. Now I just want an old man truck.

Hell I wouldn’t mind finding a crew short stock exhaust for an lbz 😳
Looking for complete or just the cat back?

08lmm72mm

May 13, 2019
Saskatchewan, Canada
Gut a stock dpf and put it back in if it's just a visual and use one of your dsp tune spots for a clean snap test tune. That or move to Canada we don't know what smog is yet haha.

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
The fact you're talking about checkpoints in America is really all you have to say about the current political climate, and theres nothing we can do about it by ourselves.
Unless they post a day ahead like they do with DUI checkpoints, they cannot stop you. They try and set up smog checkpoints in CA but they’re a “study” but you do not have to participate.

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
That’s not true here. No announcement and they are doing checkpoints and “random” stops. Friend of a friend got popped for $10k last week.

• Wow
Reactions: SmokeShow