LB7: dual fuelers...again...

ZeroGravity58

Mar 23, 2008
Maryland
I got everything done after some problem. I routed ther belt like PPE does with there kit instead of ATS. only thing i have to do is figure out the oil fill neck. I dropped my tuning back to 2400PW. Truck was idling fine. I took it out and got down on it for about 3 seconds. i logged it and it was calling for right around 28K rail pressure but it only got to around 24K and wouldnt go no higher. Then when i stopped the truck was idling funny and cyl #2 balance rates were +12 and #8 was +9. All others were still in spec. I was having problems with #2 before. Truck isnt smoking or anything at idle just idling rough. Once you get past 1200 RPM the motor feels and sounds fine. just doing it on the low end. Any idea?

ZeroGravity58

Mar 23, 2008
Maryland
i hope not :( I just got everything together and only took it for a 10 minute ride. i got on it once then noticed it didnt feel right. could it be anything else?

bullfrogjohnson

Big Girl!
Nov 20, 2006
Locust, NC
How old are the pumps and what are you using for regulators.

I also believe the shorter oil fill neck is a factory piece off a kodiak. It's alot shorter.

Last edited:

ZeroGravity58

Mar 23, 2008
Maryland
thanks guys, both regulators or LBZ's. The one pump is stock with 70K on it and the other i bought used with somewhere around 100K on it. I will check for blow by tomorrow. I know im pushing the limits and something is going to break sometime, but i just find it hard to beleive that one WOT run with almost the same tuning as before bent the rods. I know wierder things have happened. If they did bend well then i guess i will be looking for a built shortblock or i will be building mine.....

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
i'm taking a boy to the machine shop that did my work on monday. he sent his heads off last week and ordered his cam. I am getting him rods and pistons twin cp3's push rods dampener and gasket set soon also.He has ordered his turbo from merchant S474 and going with 60 over injectors.He bought JDdaves Headers and up pipes so it should run well once its done.

MD-Dmax

Jan 6, 2010
i'm taking a boy to the machine shop that did my work on monday. he sent his heads off last week and ordered his cam. I am getting him rods and pistons twin cp3's push rods dampener and gasket set soon also.He has ordered his turbo from merchant S474 and going with 60 over injectors.He bought JDdaves Headers and up pipes so it should run well once its done.

and i cant wait till its up and running. it sucks knowing that you might have blown your truck up

ZeroGravity58

Mar 23, 2008
Maryland
I got playing with it more today. Started the truck up and just a puff of what smoke. which is normal cuz it was only 40 degrees out. Hooked up my computer and started playing with cutting off injectors in the DVT section. When i cut off every injector i can tell except for #2. When i turn off #2 injector nothing changes. It does do anything wierd just idles like it missing a cylinder. I did up the rail pressure, when i made my first WOT run think i could of taken the injector out? i was having problems with it before hand. Thing that doesnt make sense about bending a rod is that i NEVER once hit desiered rail pressure even with the dual fuelers. I was calling for 28K and only hit 24K. Seems like maybe one or more injectors is returning to much fuel. I know Trent just had the same problem i think with his truck. I called tony at all season and priced out a built shortblock anyways but im trying to avoid it right now. just dont have the time.

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
I got playing with it more today. Started the truck up and just a puff of what smoke. which is normal cuz it was only 40 degrees out. Hooked up my computer and started playing with cutting off injectors in the DVT section. When i cut off every injector i can tell except for #2. When i turn off #2 injector nothing changes. It does do anything wierd just idles like it missing a cylinder. I did up the rail pressure, when i made my first WOT run think i could of taken the injector out? i was having problems with it before hand. Thing that doesnt make sense about bending a rod is that i NEVER once hit desiered rail pressure even with the dual fuelers. I was calling for 28K and only hit 24K. Seems like maybe one or more injectors is returning to much fuel. I know Trent just had the same problem i think with his truck. I called tony at all season and priced out a built shortblock anyways but im trying to avoid it right now. just dont have the time.

Do a return rate test , and check the oil for diesel , if it passes both of those tests then do a compression check .

ZeroGravity58

Mar 23, 2008
Maryland
i figured it out today. All injectors are in spec expect #2. balance rates on all other are +-2.5 in park and drive. #2 is +10 in nuetral and +12 in drive. The balance rates on that injector flucuate alot. if they get up above 12 is when the truck starts running rough and missing bad. If they drop down it idles like normal. Seems like its giving up the ghost on me. For now im going to pull apart the driverside and drop in another #2 injector. If anyone has a good used injector forsale ill take it. I also did a flow test on both sides. The driveside bank returned twice as much fuel as the passenger side bank.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
also can someone help me out and give me a part number for the oil fill neck i need. i cant find out where to get it

If you can TIG, or know someone who can, you can modify your stock neck to clear the belt. It's kind of a pain to use the short one with the belt running over the top of it.

ZeroGravity58

Mar 23, 2008
Maryland
If you can TIG, or know someone who can, you can modify your stock neck to clear the belt. It's kind of a pain to use the short one with the belt running over the top of it.

I was going to try and mod the stocker but it seems like any way i try to fit it up it still hits the alt :confused: Unless i tilt it out away from the alt and weld it on a slight angle...then it looks like it will start getting close to the fan. Right now i cut the stocker short and put a fernco cap on it...had not other choice for the time being.