Dual CP3 Vs Stroker Pump

Turbojunkie77

Jun 29, 2014
Braselton, GA
I'm looking at upgrading my CP3 pump now and I'm exploring my options. There seems to be two different routes to go; You either go with a stroker pump or dual pumps. The stroker pumps seems to satisfy my need for fuel but my concern is the reliability of them. As an engineer the dual pump system seems to be the way to go for reliability. In the dual pump system you are taking two (2) stock production pumps and they are sharing the total load of the motor whereas with the stroker pump you have a pump that has been modified by an aftermarket company (By this I'm not implying that these after market companies do bad work) to increase the output beyond the original design and it has to satisfy the full load of the motor alone. Now I could potentially be over thinking this entirely so I wanted to see what some of you guys think about it (Especially those with experience with either set up). I know the dual set up would allow me more room to grow in the future should I decide to do more with the motor. I use my truck mainly to tow around my boat and 30' enclosed car trailer with racing equipment so being reliable is my number one concern. Thoughts?

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
Both have there ups and downs. Dual cp3s is more crap to go wrong outside the cp3s. But stock cp3s are super reliable.

The strokers are opposite. Simple outside the cp3 but inside is less reliable. They have came a long way though.

If I was running smaller injectors I would just do a 10mm. On bigger set ups I would do dual modded pumps.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Need to decide how much power you want and how many miles you really will drive it first IMO. I want a stroker pump myself I've just never been a fan of duals.

duramaxdiesel

Dmax Nut
Oct 23, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I was in the same boat. I ended up going duals for reliability. But like was said, the stoker pumps have improved over the years. If I was to do it all over again, I'd still do duals. Just my opinion.

Nick

MarkBroviak

DMax Junkie
May 25, 2008
Danville Indiana
I prefer the single stroker to duals any day of the week on a street truck! Who you buy from is what really matters when it comes to reliability with them. Race truck then duals are ok. I for one have had and seen more issues with dual kits than I have ever had with Exergy stroker pumps. You need to figure out your power goal then set it up accordingly and you will be happy with it.

Turbojunkie77

Jun 29, 2014
Braselton, GA
Ok thanks a lot guys. Clear as mud now LOL!!
I guess my question is now is what type of problems have you guys seen with the duals? Are there issues with the controls on the pumps and over pressurizing the system or does it make the ecu go nuts? Just curious as to what types of issues you all have encountered. A stroker is definitely simpler in the install and if you are having problems with it there is no doubt where the issue lies. If I went the stroker route I would surely go with a Exergy pump. I haven't heard a bad thing about them yet as far as pumps and injectors go.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Personally the only issues I have seen with duals was the odd bad controller and fpr.
But personally I'd go bigger single because I don't like the extra load on the front of the crank with the undersized #1 main bearing and all the broken crank issues. Or all the extra plumbing and belts etc.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk