LMM: DSP5 tune affects on shift quality

RHallenbeck

Aug 21, 2014
Beaumont, Texas
Just curious as to the EFI live tune and how it affects shifting . I notice even on the lowest setting that under hard throttle that the 2-3 shift is fairly firm. I have not run it WOT through the rest of the shifts.. Under normal driving you can feel the defuel take place but under hard, half and above, when it comes good into boost during the shift you really feel no defuel take place, only a firm gear change. It does this on all setting just on the higher HP settings you feel it more pronounced. I have read where the shift should be smooth, almost transparent with the allison.. I like the firm shift but do not want to bind up the allison and scatter it....

Just curious if this tune on the truck might be a hack job and whomever did it pulled the tq drop or defuel out of it..

Rick

Dirtymaxx03

Aug 4, 2009
One thing about the Allison is it needs to "learn" anytime you turn the power up. If you go from a small tune to a large tune, the trans will shift funky. This will go away after you put some miles on the new power level.

RHallenbeck

Aug 21, 2014
Beaumont, Texas
I did disconnect the battery today while dickin around puttin shocks on it and driving now seems to have eased up on the firmness but I have not run it very hard yet..I bought the truck and have no idea who did the tune. I tried to trace down the original installer but no luck. The tunes are all smoke free and runs fine. I am wanting to get a scan tool so I think I am going to get an autocal/tunes from Kory that way I then know what I have...

Rick

Last edited:

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
If it's the 2010 in your sig, then you cannot read out your current tune to see what you have. If you flash in a new tune, then you can know what you have.

RHallenbeck

Aug 21, 2014
Beaumont, Texas
Finally talked to the previous owner and he gave me some info. He Bought the truck and took it to Calvin's Auto in Sulphur and had them put on the exhaust and do the DSP5 and flash. It has Kory's tunes done on it. He did not get an autocal just the programming. I am going to purchase a Blank linked autocal from Kory for diagnostics and datalogging. He towed a 5vr and only used the truck for 10,000 miles then decided he wanted a dually.
The tranny upshifts and downshifts are perfect and seemless at normal driving situations. Only when you get down into boost pretty good does it firm up on the shift. Even then it is not a jerk or jolt it is just a bump or "firm push" that you feel when the exchange takes place. It could be normal since this is the only good running diesel I have ridden /driven..lol
I will get the autocal and datalog some and let Kory look at it to be sure everything on the ECM side is doing what it should..

Rick

RHallenbeck

Aug 21, 2014
Beaumont, Texas
Brought it to Calvin's yesterday afternoon. Chad hooked up the scanner to it and we went for a drive. Ran it part throttle and full throttle on setting 3 several times. He said the rail pressure was holding good and the shift firmness is normal far as he is concerned. He said their built tranny is way firmer than that. I guess all is well..