Dsp5 switch

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
I've always just grounded to chassis under dash and it's worked, ie - one wire.

The "pin" that goes to the ECM isn't there until you put it in. It's a blank spot, and you push in a new GM pin. Guy Tripp at SoCal Diesel sells a DSP5 switch/pin assy that makes it easy. Otherwise, there are instructions at EFILive.com. I'll look for lnk.

Texas Chevy

Feb 14, 2011
Vista, Ca
I have the switch. It is already installed but I can't get it to work. There was already something in the ground slot when I went to wire it so I hope it's the ground slot. Which is why I was along about which one was the ground wire and which one is the signal wire coming off the switch.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
If you have an ohmvolt meter, you can check the wiring pretty easy. Set to ohms, put the black meter probe to ground, stick the red probe lead into the ECM connector at the right pin. Rotate switch and see if the reading changes. If so (switch is working), you either have the wrong pin selected, or you didn't full flash a DSP5 tune into the truck. If no change in ohms, check ground.

LBZrcks

Jun 2, 2007
SoCal
I have the switch. It is already installed but I can't get it to work. There was already something in the ground slot when I went to wire it so I hope it's the ground slot. Which is why I was along about which one was the ground wire and which one is the signal wire coming off the switch.

There shouldn't have been anything in the slot. Did you open up the correct harness?

Texas Chevy

Feb 14, 2011
Vista, Ca
I mean the only thing after market that is wired not by me is a viper alarm. Has anyone else had the same problem when something was already wired there?

RPM Motorsports

smokinum
May 13, 2008
Central Valley Ca.
#1. pin 46 is for the signal wire (next to grey wire on harness)
#2. ground the other wire under the dash no need to use connector/pin
#3. open the scan tool, connect to vehicle with ignition on, select DSP voltage in "pids", go back to "Data", start logging with panel on the bottom, change position on switch and look for voltage change, to make sure switch is working.

Texas Chevy

Feb 14, 2011
Vista, Ca
I have made sure the pin was all the way seated I was thinking it was but finally realized it wasn't but now it is seated the ground is good caus I have even used a tester to test it. But and ran a full flash and tested the switch and nothing. So I am back to my original question which is which wire coming off the switch is the ground and which one is the signal. I'm asking cause I'm trying to see if maybe it was the signal wire slot that was being used not the ground slot on the harness in that case the switch is grounded twice. Is the ground wire off the switch black or grey? I am gonna trace the wire when I get back home and see where it goes to. Any help. Please I'm losing my mind with this.

LBZrcks

Jun 2, 2007
SoCal
It doesn't matter which wire from the switch you use for the ground or signal. Some of the cheaper switches I've seen just have two black leads coming off them.

Texas Chevy

Feb 14, 2011
Vista, Ca
Thanks for all the advice everyone. I ordered a new switch and went to install the new switch and when I Pulled the old one out and looked at it the black wire was not soldered To the switch it was just there and not connected. Weather it was there originally or not doesn't matter cause it is working now. Thanks again for all the help