DSP5 selector switch broke!

JayhawkLB7

May 22, 2020
Hey all - silly question. I was moving the location of the 5-selector switch and in doing so I broke the shaft through the back casing. Don't ask.

A few questions: I had it set to "3" when it broke. If I replace it with another and set it to 3, that should, switch-wise match the tuning memory. The other questions is, will just any 5-selector work...IE:

Mine was originally an ATP Idaho Rob.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Any DSP5 switch claiming to be compatible with EFILive should work. The only concern is if the replacement is labeled forwards or backwards compared to yours. I would bet it would be the same, but try tune #1 and #5 to ensure they aren't switched. If they are, just re-label the new switch or remember the tunes by their new numbers.

JayhawkLB7

May 22, 2020
Right on. Thanks for that. I still owe RosWell a visit to verify some since I don't have Live and he's local to me. Maybe I should hold up on my end of that bargain after I get the switch in just to verify everything. As it stands today I use 3 (heavy tow) and 5 (Insanity) exclusively, since I know what they are, haha.

JayhawkLB7

May 22, 2020
Hey guys. This might be a super stupid question but I have to ask...

So when I broke the DSP 5 switch I had it in position 3. I just put the new one in with it in position one. Went out for a little stroll. Every switch position from 1 to 5 is dramatically more powerful than it ever was before. I flipped over to five doing 30 mph on a dry street and gave it about half as much punch as I would to get up a hill and straight roasted the tires off, careening for about 15 ft before I got it back under control.

The stupid part of the question is: would the memory hold that I was in 3 before... Or would a new switch need reflashed entirely?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about being able to roast tire and lose complete control already doing 30 or 40 miles per hour... But half of this lifetime is spent towing a fifth wheel and I don't want to be towing over mountain passes with enough horsepower to start blowing Pistons or bending rods.

JayhawkLB7

May 22, 2020
Just took it out for another spin. I guess the source of my question is it feels like position one is what position three used to feel like. Position three feels like old insanity mode, and position 5 is properly ludicrous. Like I'm going to have to tape that part off before I put the kids in the truck. Anyhow, any responses would be appreciated. I clearly just don't know what the hell I'm talking about.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
The switch is nothing but a resistor. The only reason your tunes would feel "changed" is if the resistance of the old switch was off and wasn't truly switching to the next tune

JayhawkLB7

May 22, 2020
The switch is nothing but a resistor. The only reason your tunes would feel "changed" is if the resistance of the old switch was off and wasn't truly switching to the next tune
Ok. Yeah, I often wondered if switch 2,3, and 4 actually did anything. 1 was always noticeably boring and 5 noticeably not...but I would typically leave it in 3 because I never really felt a difference in those mids. That switch was probably long since faulty.

Thanks a ton Hybrid. That's a good start. Back to peeling out then!