Drivers Motor Mount

DuramxMan

Aug 10, 2016
AUBURN, GA
So I keep braking the drivers side motor mount. Whats everyone doing to stop this? Hate to spend $400 on a pair of mounts! Did a search and saw where some people were drilling mount and putting a grade 8 bolt in, but were old post. So whats my options?

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Many still bolt them. I’ve done quite a few over the past year. Start with a new stock mount though.

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia
Yep, bolted motor mounts are ok if you aren’t ocd, mines bolted and after having MA mounts on my old truck, you can’t really tell mines bolted, other than the motor doesn’t slam when you let out of it. Just spend the money and get good mounts, only gotta spend it once.

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
Because solid mounts cause a lot of vibration and is hard on things. I ran bolted ones for years. Zero issues. Cheap and affective.

PACougar

Jun 27, 2012
El Dorado Hills, Ca
Because solid mounts cause a lot of vibration and is hard on things. I ran bolted ones for years. Zero issues. Cheap and affective.

What solid mounts are you talking about? I've ran Merchant mounts on both of my trucks for years and your description doesn't fit them whatsoever.

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia
My motor was balanced so I can’t speak for the vibrations, my stock motor LMM vibrates pretty good, so I could see it being an issue with a stock motor, but I personally prefer the solid mounts.

I bolted both mounts on my LLY when it was stock and it was ok, I just did the driver side on my LMM because my dumb ass was tired and in a hurry put one of the bolts too close to the center for the passenger side mount and it wouldn’t fit, so I get a lot of movement still, I have another mount but only time I have issues is in 4x4 going up steep hills around the house.

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
James bolted a stock engine mount for me years ago and I had no problems with it. I run a solid mount on driver side and stock on passenger side on my LS truck and it doesn't move

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
What solid mounts are you talking about? I've ran Merchant mounts on both of my trucks for years and your description doesn't fit them whatsoever.

i just hate the added vibration those induce. Its not terrible and some dont mind it but its kind of like poly body mounts vs stock. i tried poly those too and they drove me nuts with the added vib and transfers of sound verse the stock rubber.

just depends on owner. ive always offered either choice in mounts when im working on an engine cause 9/10 times that driver side mount is shot. still waiting for a bolted mount to break but i use a 9/16" grade 8 bolt and it will bend the shit out of the backing plate before it breaks :roflmao:

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne

I recently switched to merchant mounts on my race truck to help keep engine from twisting and messing up my intercooler boot angles. Witch helped a lot. But now I notice random bolts coming loose and can feel it in the seat (aluminum seats with padding). Like said above. Some people are more picky then others.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Bolted drivers mount here. I even went the super cheap route and Por patched my broken one back together when I bolted it :rofl:

RickDLance

Feb 14, 2007
You can always split a set of Merchant mounts with someone else. That's what I did. I only ran a Merchant on the drivers side and sold the second one. The best of both worlds.

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
I think have rick’s other mount, lol. The MA driver side only made my truck shake like hell and the dash vibrate a lot. I put on the DVT and slowly raised my idle until it smoothed out and re-wrote my idle and coast tuning to match. Great compromise imho. I’m pleased with how the engine does bounce around in there anymore.

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
Maybe it’s just the picture but those look like shit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk