Dodge Trans Swaps

SBCNX20

Aug 7, 2006
Central MA
Just wondering if anyone has seen an update about the guys (or maybe only 1...BUCK) running dodge trannies.

Last edited:

MAXLLY

No Lemming Here
Aug 15, 2007
San Diego
Everything i have is hear say, it's all i can submit.:)

200 lbs lighter, no granny type gear, lower OD gear, no computer, input is based on TPS, weak shafts budget R and R. No word on converter lock up and controlling same. The swap hasn't been "debugged" yet and needs to be more civilized for the street. The "one to use" is the 47 or 48? Not sure on that.

Initial swap costs projected in the 7k range.

Some claim 5 tenth reduction off the bat...

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Apparently you have looked into it!! Why the big gain in ET's?? Less weight??

SBCNX20

Aug 7, 2006
Central MA
"Apparently you have looked into it!! Why the big gain in ET's?? Less weight??"

E.T Drop = Less hp to turn + Quicker Shifts, along with Infinite Stall Speeds.

Last edited:

JOHNBOY

< Rocking the Big Single!
Aug 30, 2006
Saegertown, Pa
What about using a 4l80? They can easily bolt to a Dmax. I beleive there are manaul bodies and trans brakes for them. Rossler IIRC.

MAXLLY

No Lemming Here
Aug 15, 2007
San Diego
Well...honestly i have no clue. I can assume.

Less rotating mass, quicker shifts come to mind.

I'm sticking with Mike L and the ALLY for now.:D Mike created the trans that stands behind the fastest DMAX that i know of (shameless Casper plug).:)

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
I can say this. The built dodge trans shifts much faster and smoother under serious power. Shafts shouldnt be weaker, you need billet shafts at this horsepower level anyways. No granny gear rocks, comes out a lot nicer. I dont have the conversion, but a built dodge and duramax both SC trannies.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Apparently you have looked into it!! Why the big gain in ET's?? Less weight??

Using a 47RE Dodge trans in a Duramax will save about 200 pounds, lose an unwanted gear ( 3.10 first ), better ratio's throughout the gears, unlimited converter stall and coupling combinations, lighter geartrain rotating mass, and last but most importantly, NO DEFUEL.:D Every time we defuel the Duramax the turbo loses some momentum that it can never regain back.
Buck dropped at least .5 on his et because of this and now his tuner is taking credit for finding the lost scrolls that gave him the extra power. For the dedicated drag racer looking for every advantage possible, this is good.

LBZrcks

Jun 2, 2007
SoCal
Using a 47RE Dodge trans in a Duramax will save about 200 pounds, lose an unwanted gear ( 3.10 first ), better ratio's throughout the gears, unlimited converter stall and coupling combinations, lighter geartrain rotating mass, and last but most importantly, NO DEFUEL.:D Every time we defuel the Duramax the turbo loses some momentum that it can never regain back.
Buck dropped at least .5 on his et because of this and now his tuner is taking credit for finding the lost scrolls that gave him the extra power. For the dedicated drag racer looking for every advantage possible, this is good.

So would you not recommend this for a daily driver/direct replacement of the allison?

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.

Is this because of the physical design of the trans?
Is there anything we can do to lose some of the mass from the ally like maybe drop a gear and all the plates associated with it? For example, I have no use for 6th in my LBZ as I have 35" tires. Could we drop those plates not used for 6th?

I can't wait until I get to Mike's shop to see the insides of these things to better understand how they work. So forgive me if my questions sound foolish.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Is there anything we can do to lose some of the mass from the ally like maybe drop a gear and all the plates associated with it? For example, I have no use for 6th in my LBZ as I have 35" tires. Could we drop those plates not used for 6th?

no. 6th gear needs C2 and C4.

4th and 5th gear also need C2. And 2nd gear needs C4.

So yeah, you could I guess, but you'd be left with 1st and third :D

(I might be wrong with that, just going off memory)

ben

MaxFarmer

<--Heavy Smoker
Jan 22, 2007
Albion, Nebraska
I think your 6th uses the same clutch packs, it just applies different clutches for the extra gear. Just a different valve body and possibly TCM. I'm no expert, this is going off of memory.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Sorry to be off topic but how many clutch packs are there in a 6 speed??