Do it myself?

danzigfan2002

Jan 4, 2011
I have a 05 lly and i just ordered a stage five ppe kit with the mike l convertor, i want to rebuild it my self, is this possible? I have some help from a friend who has done other trans just not a allison. Just wondering, and wante to ask mike and see what he thought. Also wondering bout any exrta tools i wuold need. Any help or advice would be great, i have always wanted to try one just alittle nervious!

Sharks06LLY

May 15, 2010
Tampa Fl
i would love to mine as well if i had help, im not sure about on here but on the duramax forum another guy just did a full right up with a ton of pictures on rebuilding the five speed, i wish he would of done the six speed so i could conjure up the balls do try it lol

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
An average guy can build a trans yes but it wont have any of the tweaks that people like Mike or Big Dipper will do. Also if for some reason you fail to put something in correctly it will be difficult to troubleshoot with limited knowledge and then you will be on the phone with someone like Mike or George.

danzigfan2002

Jan 4, 2011
I wished mine was a six speed! I was just wondering if i could? I have always wanted to try. I wished i lived closer to Mike L , i would be there and let him do it in a second!!!!!! Maybe mike would let me call him if i run in to truoble??? PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!!:hug:

Righteyeblind

Aug 29, 2008
Fairbanks, AK
Special tools are some big snap ring pliers, I like the ratcheting ones, a press, 4" piece of exhaust tube with a hole in the side of it and a piece of metal welded on top so the press can push down on, an ATSG manual, feeler gauges. PPE instructions aren't very solid either if you think you can go step by step. Stage 5 has different backing plates, pistons and what not so you have to make sure your clearences are perfect because sometimes the parts aren't manufactured to the correct thickness or you have one too many clutches(it's happened to me plenty)

DieselD

Aug 27, 2009
Virginia
I just installed this kit on my truck but its a 6 speed. It was the first trans I ever did and it took about 4 hours (once the trans was on the stand) Made all the special tools myself and its working great, got about 2000 miles on it with zero problems. Its a big job for sure but if you have a decent mechanical background you will be fine, take your time and keep everything super clean!

danzigfan2002

Jan 4, 2011
Well im going to give it a try. Hopefully it will go good. Thanks for all the advice and comments, so is great to have others to consult about this, its going to be a learning experience for sure, just hope its not a bad one! This is a great forum, sure glad i found it!!!:D