differences in cali and federal lb7

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
Looking to buy an engine to throw in my truck for the time being, so I can build the messed up one that's in my truck on the side. Turnes out its a cali emissions engine with crap everywhere. Vacuum pump all kinds of plugs and crap, Jankey emissions y bridge. But i thought I read somewhere the cali heads were different which would turn me off of this engine. Is there anything else that's different from my 01? And what's the chances of selling the emissions junk?

duramaxzak

Wanna be puller!
Nov 22, 2008
Minnesota
Cali heads, y-bridge, turbo rear bolt pattern, glow plug controller are all different. Also has a EGR and air pump.

Wire harness on the motor is different also.

The Cali parts really have no value, unless you find someone with one that need's some thing.

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
Cali heads, y-bridge, turbo rear bolt pattern, glow plug controller are all different. Also has a EGR and air pump.

I noticed the glow plug controller, bridge, and vacuum pump. And the pcv wasn't rerouted it went to the pump. What exactly is different about the heads? Not worth using?

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
Yeah big difference in heads. I had a set and finally hauled them to the scrap yard. couldn't give them away.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
That's so stupid lol why not just make them the same? Lol seems stupid to have them different like that

Because the original LB7 heads were designed for use with no emissions controls (EGR) and did not take EGR into account when they were designed. When the EGR and cat had to be added to meet the new california emissions regulations, obviously GM found that the existing/original LB7 head wasnt compatible with EGR and/or didnt work properly to decrease emissions.

And so they had to change it. LLY+ was designed from the start for EGR and emissions controls, and the head was completely redesigned, so GM was able to change things enough to the point of where it could accomodate EGR/PCV/emissions, and flow much better than the last-minute-botched/hacked/modified low-flow LB7 cali heads...

As far as I know, cali LB7 heads still flow more than a 12-valve cummins head though. :D