DIesel Power Challenge 2011

Mika

Bastardo Finlandias
Oct 25, 2008
Finland
Staying on topic of course :D I heard Dmitri lost multiple 48re's while at Suncoast, and now again at the drag racing portion of the competition. I am nothing in the diesel world but I have first hand experience with the PCS Controller, and Suncoast Valvebody in quite possibly the highest horsepower producing CR. IIRC that transmission was wasted on the first boosted launch as in brake>throttle> boost was climbing around 25psi(not much for this truck) and ZING!!!! 4000rpm. After 5 times rebuilding the trans in house it was shipped to Suncoast they had it on the transmission dyno everything was done to Suncoast's extreme drag racing specs shipped back, reinstalled it slipped on the first pass. The PCS was ditched for a manual valve body and the truck does not have anywhere close to the same amount of problems. Guys thinking the Duraflite is the end all be all quick fix for the Duramax is full of **** if they believe that

Iirc you had some problems with correct tuning also.
All I can say, my duraflite worked perfect, and as my weight and speed says, there is some power here too.
Input shaft were bended when I tore truck down at end of season, but it was still in one piece at that time.

ChevyDieselLLY

Whats A Budget???
Apr 1, 2008
MI, NC, now Hawaii
So was it the trans that failed that cause the GT55 to over speed? Or was there something else? I would have thought he would have just stuck with the Allison its a better all around trans and the drag race is just 1 of 5 events.

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
Iirc you had some problems with correct tuning also.
All I can say, my duraflite worked perfect, and as my weight and speed says, there is some power here too.
Input shaft were bended when I tore truck down at end of season, but it was still in one piece at that time.

You are 100% correct Mika, tuning was definitely a large piece of the puzzle. At the end of the day it was just easier to take electronics out of the equation

Trippin

SoCal Diesel
Aug 10, 2006
I just took a look at the video of Owens's truck on the dyno and all I can say is "Wow!"

What I saw there was a whole different level of stupidity! :mad:

Allowing people to stand that close to a truck on the dyno, especially in a competition like this is incredibly stupid!

I've seen flywheels, clutchs, converters, fan blades, driveshafts and other miscellaneous pieces come shooting out of vehicles on a dyno.

Hell, I was at a local NASCAR event about 25 years ago when a mechanic was reving an engine to 3,000 rpm to set the timing and the fan came apart, a piece hit the ground and went right through a bystanders chest, killing him instantly.

C'mon people, lets use our heads a little bit and follow some basic safety precautions.

For example, in my shop no one is allowed to stand next to the truck while under power. Everyone must be behind the rear bumper and out of direct line of the tires.

If your at a competition like this, do your buddies a favor and don't let them stand in harm's way.

Guy

blackdirtymax

Apr 15, 2010
augusta, ga
I just took a look at the video of Owens's truck on the dyno and all I can say is "Wow!"

Allowing people to stand that close to a truck on the dyno, especially in a competition like this is incredibly stupid!

I've seen flywheels, clutchs, converters, fan blades, driveshafts and other miscellaneous pieces come shooting out of vehicles on a dyno.

Hell, I was at a local NASCAR event about 25 years ago when a mechanic was reving an engine to 3,000 rpm to set the timing and the fan came apart, a piece hit the ground and went right through a bystanders chest, killing him instantly.

C'mon people, lets use our heads a little bit and follow some basic safety precautions.

For example, in my shop no one is allowed to stand next to the truck while under power. Everyone must be behind the rear bumper and out of direct line of the tires.

If your at a competition like this, do your buddies a favor and don't let them stand in harm's way.

Guy

Totally agree!!

othrgrl

Diesel Addiction Owner
Mar 10, 2008
Wilmington NC
www.mydieseladdiction.com

Guy

Watching both videos that are up of it letting go I was thinking the same thing - after that oil fill cap came out like a cork and defected off the hood it could have seriously hurt someone.

xcablb7

Feb 8, 2009
Fall River
Damn this was one seriously destructive year! And def the day of transmissions mine limped once last night today wouldn't even take 5lbs of boost in 5th lol

Colt

Jul 23, 2010
Trippin' is so right on that dyno safety. Saw a rock come out of a back tire tread at like 70 mph like a bullet and hit a shop door just about like a deer slug dent for a fast description it was so fast it was the bang that got everyone's attention since the engine was tached up. Too close 10 people standing around not even aware of all the bad things that can blow apart. Back to the topics at hand looks like 6500 hits on this thread too so that's cool.

Dan@PPE

Diesel Enthusiast
Aug 8, 2006
So Cal.
I completley agree with Guy! We have had a tire come a part on our dyno and torn the whole side of the truck up, cut gashes in the walls of the shop. Needless to say we dont allow anyone around the trucks when dynoing.

I just got of the phone with Dmitri and the GT55 is fine.

Last edited: