LLY: dented in oil pan

B.LairdOilco.

Jul 16, 2010
got us a 05 duramax truck, had a burned up motor so we put another motor in it. welll we dented in the bottom oil pan on it moving it around and we broke that plastic cover on the top of it that says 6.6 on it. we dented the pan in pretty good, where is the pickup tube at in it? toward the front or the back of the pan? Can we plug them holes in the intake elbow where that plastic 6.6 cover goes and run it without it? It don't look like it does anything

B.LairdOilco.

Jul 16, 2010
Also, we had to put that ficm module onto the new motor from the old one, but we lost 3 of them rubber donut washers that go on it. any place out there we can order new ones from that aint expensive? One last q.... the old motor we had had just got new injectors and cp3, so we took them out and put em in this new motor. question is during the install we just left 4 or 5 fuel line brackets off a couple of them high pressure lines.. is vibration gonna get to them and mess em up? Or we good to go?? preciate it.

stacks04

Nov 16, 2007
Terryville,Ct
got us a 05 duramax truck, had a burned up motor so we put another motor in it. welll we dented in the bottom oil pan on it moving it around and we broke that plastic cover on the top of it that says 6.6 on it. we dented the pan in pretty good, where is the pickup tube at in it? toward the front or the back of the pan? Can we plug them holes in the intake elbow where that plastic 6.6 cover goes and run it without it? Yes you can, just buy a fernco 2"cap at homedepot or lowes.It don't look like it does anything

Also, we had to put that ficm module onto the new motor from the old one, but we lost 3 of them rubber donut washers that go on it. any place out there we can order new ones from that aint expensive? You can buy them from the dealer, not sure if any of the vendors here have them. Not a popular item.One last q.... the old motor we had had just got new injectors and cp3, so we took them out and put em in this new motor.I hope you used new copper seals and o-rings on the injectors. question is during the install we just left 4 or 5 fuel line brackets off a couple of them high pressure lines.. is vibration gonna get to them and mess em up? Or we good to go?? preciate it.

Answers in red.

B.LairdOilco.

Jul 16, 2010
Answers in red.

Thanks to all yal :thumb: well no we didn't use new copper shims or o-rings because the motor just got them and the new injectors less that 15 miles before it melted a piston, so they oughta be good still right?

What about them clamps with the rubber on em that goes on that hp fuel line from the injector pump to the fuel rail and the crossover fuel rail. we just left them off cuz we couldnt really figure out where they were supposed to go putting it back together. just wantin to know if they are necessary or if the vibration of the motor will screw them up somehow?

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Thanks to all yal :thumb: well no we didn't use new copper shims or o-rings because the motor just got them and the new injectors less that 15 miles before it melted a piston, so they oughta be good still right?
What about them clamps with the rubber on em that goes on that hp fuel line from the injector pump to the fuel rail and the crossover fuel rail. we just left them off cuz we couldnt really figure out where they were supposed to go putting it back together. just wantin to know if they are necessary or if the vibration of the motor will screw them up somehow?

hate to say it but there is a reason the old motor lost a piston in 15 miles. either the new injector for that cylinder is stuck open or the old one weakned it so much, the new ones put in had enough to crack her. i wouldnt be puttin the same injector that was on the bad piston in your new motor

on edit: im sure some good ol' full throttle runs ought to clear it out

Last edited:

jdlover1

437 Cubic Inches
Oct 4, 2006
chapanoke,nc
I wouldnt worry too much about those clamps. I know mine doesnt have all of them on anymore. Seem like everytime i did work on mine I was adding more to my bag of spare parts

B.LairdOilco.

Jul 16, 2010
hate to say it but there is a reason the old motor lost a piston in 15 miles. either the new injector for that cylinder is stuck open or the old one weakned it so much, the new ones put in had enough to crack her. i wouldnt be puttin the same injector that was on the bad piston in your new motor

on edit: im sure some good ol' full throttle runs ought to clear it out

Well thats a good point, we aint fired it up yet probably oughta get them injectors looked at, bill said something might be wrong with them, but we thought it melted that piston because of running the hello out of it. do most places generally need a receipt usually to honor injector warranties? preciate the help so far yal :thumb:

Bill I thought you already said these new injectors were bad already.:spit:

This here is James bronson, i work for bill laird he sold me the truck for $4k i've got it in the shop up here, got some help from a good diesel and heavy eq mechanic, rick, he does all the work up here on the big trucks and workover rigs. we got the motor changed out now we just trying to tie up some loose ends. preciate the help :thumb:

Bout the oil pan, we are thinkin that pickup tube is probably towards the back, we are thinkin bout just replacing it but we were just wondering if it might be ok based on where the pickup tube is in the pan.

B.LairdOilco.

Jul 16, 2010
I wouldnt worry too much about those clamps. I know mine doesnt have all of them on anymore. Seem like everytime i did work on mine I was adding more to my bag of spare parts

That's what i wanted to hear!! preciate it bud :thumb:

B.LairdOilco.

Jul 16, 2010
also, we got that plastic deal capped off like yal said we could do. aint worried bout the clamps, got that squared away.. now bout the only place to get them ficm module donut washers is the dealer right? we might just get some washers and rubber rings from the hardware store if them from the dealer are gonna cost an arm and a leg. already priced them new copper injector rings from them cuz yal said probably better change em and they want get this 12.02 apiece!! And 4.90 for the oring! made o gold it seems like. x8 we'd definitely be in them over a hundred

custom8726

Feb 25, 2008
Upstate N.Y
Lightly sand the old copper washers so there flat on both sides and free of carbon deposits.. If your old O-rings are not torn or stretched I dont see any reason to replace them...

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
If you want to straighten the oil pan, you can easily unbolt it with the motor in the truck. You just need to remove the crossmember that runs under it. It will come out with 4 bolts/nuts. And the pick up is toward the back of the pan.

Also, I would definitely try to put the isolators back on the line that runs across from the driver's side rail to the passenger's side rail. As I recall, there is one isolator bolted in with the driver's side rail, and the other bolts to the thermostat housing.

Last edited:

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
also, we got that plastic deal capped off like yal said we could do. aint worried bout the clamps, got that squared away.. now bout the only place to get them ficm module donut washers is the dealer right? we might just get some washers and rubber rings from the hardware store if them from the dealer are gonna cost an arm and a leg. already priced them new copper injector rings from them cuz yal said probably better change em and they want get this 12.02 apiece!! And 4.90 for the oring! made o gold it seems like. x8 we'd definitely be in them over a hundred

You have that flipped the wrong way the o ring in the part they told you 12 for the copper is 4. I sell the set shipped for 75 aslong as it's paid with paypal.