LB7: Deleting stock filter head when running airdog?

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
i know this thread is about deleting the stock filter but to chime in on the spring and check ball, when i did the nicktane cat adapter for the stock finter the instructions specifically state to remove the ball and spring completely or it would cause a problem and prevent fuel flow...

so my question is what the hell does the spring and check ball do and like btfarm said what does the heater do? :confused: :rofl:

btfarm

you know
Nov 25, 2010
Sandwich, Illinois
One advantage of the check is you can drop the filter without draining the lines all over the floor. IDK of any other reason for it except maybe it helps keep air out of the pump suction line when changing filters for 1st startup.

Kappa9012

MAN.... I Broke it again.
Aug 5, 2008
Peoria Il
i assume the filter minder still chimes to tell you when the filter needs to be changed, or at least when it thinks it needs changed.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
i know this thread is about deleting the stock filter but to chime in on the spring and check ball, when i did the nicktane cat adapter for the stock finter the instructions specifically state to remove the ball and spring completely or it would cause a problem and prevent fuel flow...

so my question is what the hell does the spring and check ball do and like btfarm said what does the heater do? :confused: :rofl:

I would assume the Nicktane filter adapter has you remove the check ball because they don't have anything to push it open. Like btfarm said, as far as I can tell the check ball is there to keep from making such a huge mess when changing the filter. The heater is there to help keep the fuel from gelling in the filter when it is cold outside. All diesel pickups have come with them from as far back as I've ever worked on.

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
I would assume the Nicktane filter adapter has you remove the check ball because they don't have anything to push it open. Like btfarm said, as far as I can tell the check ball is there to keep from making such a huge mess when changing the filter. The heater is there to help keep the fuel from gelling in the filter when it is cold outside. All diesel pickups have come with them from as far back as I've ever worked on.

hmmm, makes sense although when i did my first filter change no fuel spilled out, actually less fuel spilled then with the factory filter which was kind of nice :)

03spoolindmax

Nov 9, 2011
Mi
Just deleted the stock filter today. Took all of 20 minutes and $5 for hose.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 43