Deleting factory fan?

DetailsUnlimited

Oct 26, 2009
Benton, Ar
I tow everyday but want to get rid of the fan. Flex lite has one that I think flows 6k cfm so that would work. But can you hook it up to turn on with the factory sensor? I know I would forget if it was manual and by doing this what would be the benefits?

SSchmi5519

LLY Cult Leader
Oct 19, 2008
Arizona
From what I remember, the electric fans just cant move the amount of air that the OEM unit does. Especially in a towing scenario.

DetailsUnlimited

Oct 26, 2009
Benton, Ar
What does the factory flow? 2-15inch fans flowing 6k cfm sounds like alot! Diesel power mag had a guy in there that had these towing a gooseneck around the fields. So he is creeping around the fields and they seem to work for him what's the difference. Thx

SSchmi5519

LLY Cult Leader
Oct 19, 2008
Arizona
What does the factory flow? 2-15inch fans flowing 6k cfm sounds like alot! Diesel power mag had a guy in there that had these towing a gooseneck around the fields. So he is creeping around the fields and they seem to work for him what's the difference. Thx

The OEM clutch fan moves up to ~10,200 CFM.

Rhall

Old Skooler
Aug 12, 2006
Texas Y'all
I tow everyday but want to get rid of the fan. Flex lite has one that I think flows 6k cfm so that would work. But can you hook it up to turn on with the factory sensor? I know I would forget if it was manual and by doing this what would be the benefits?

With Flex Lite you stick a probe into your radiator fwiw

jpowel29

Feb 1, 2008
Bentonville, Arkansas
I would not want to test the limits of the electric fans especially towing heavy. I have seen several dual electric fan kits come up for sale from guys that have tried them on their tow rigs.

On my truck dual fans and the factory radiator were overkill. Most of the time the fans would not cycle on unless in stop-n-go driving in the summer heat.

SSchmi5519

LLY Cult Leader
Oct 19, 2008
Arizona
Depends on whether the fan is attempting to engage. Is the time worth it? In my opinion no, or I would do it every time.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
This maybe a stupid question but can you just take the fan off for racing or is the extra HP not worth the time?
That stupid behind the fan shroud they put on the 06+ trucks makes it a PITA to get the fan out.

Depends on whether the fan is attempting to engage. Is the time worth it? In my opinion no, or I would do it every time.
Regardless of whether or not the fan is fully engaged, it is always drawing some power.

turbhoe

researching lbz swap
Jan 8, 2011
jacksonville florida
are any of the stock fans electrically clutched or are they mechanical? i ask cause i see a setting for fans temps in hptuners for the lbz. and if so you could just use the clutch signal to run a relay to turn on electric fans.